Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poor00paddy

Unhappy poor00paddy

Hi,
    Can you help please ? My laptop, Toshiba, Satellite L450D, running Windows 7, has refused to start.

It's only two years old and apart from being updated now and again, was only been used for three weeks last year.

It won't start plugged in or not. The two lights in the front of the system (green) light up when it's plugged in but when I press the start the centre light (also green) just lights for five seconds before going off again. I have tried to start it while it has not been plugged in and when I press the start, it sounds like it want's to start but the 'starting' noise goes off again after a couple of seconds and the light goes off. I updated it two days ago and it was working perfectly.

Hope you can help,
    Thank you.
    Tom.

That's a tough one, sounds like a power issue or something. Nothing spilled on it or dropped I hope. Try holding the power button down for 30 seconds. If you have any boot disc put that in the CD ROM Drive, with the CD in turn the computer off then on.

Hi Zeb, thank for your reply. I tried as you suggest without any success. It is a tought one, but Murphys law was written especially with me in mind.

I held the power down for 30 seconds and the same thing happened again...light stayed on for 5 seconds.

I don't have a boot disc..but I do have recovery discs..I couldn't insert them anyway...can't open the drive.

I would welcome any other suggestions you may have, before I get the hammer out and fix it myself.

Thank you,
    Tom.

I need to go to the pub, be back later. Someone there may have a clue..

Hi poor00paddy,

Let's try this and see if helps:

Unplug the AC adaptor, remove the battery, then press and hold the power button down for a minimum of 30 seconds. Now replace the battery and see if it powers up. If not repreat the process but this time leave the battery out and only plug in the AC. If it still doesn't power on repeat the process again and this time replace the battery and plug the AC back in.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

[
    ]

Hi Donna, no such luck, none of the suggestions worked.

I am now torn between Zeb's pub or the hammer.

Anything else to suggest ?

Thank you.
    Tom.

I don't have anything else to offer you. I wish that I did though. You may need to have it looked at.

From what I found through research, many have had this issue with that model. Below is a link to Toshiba Support that may help. Contact them and see what they say.

Toshiba Support - Homepage

Good Luck!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

poor00paddy,

Second thoughts here:

How comfortable are you with taking the back off the laptop. If you feel confidant, check the RAM sticks to see if this may be the problem here. To check the RAM remove one stick at a time and try to boot the laptop.

If it doesn't work after trying this approach with each stick of Ram it could be a Mother Board problem which you may then have to take it in to have it looked at by a technician that has the tools o do this for you.

Let us know what you find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast