Default Several Computer Issues (Sound, CD Drive)

Hi everyone,

I've successfully used this forum before and was thrilled with the help I got. After many unsuccessful hours on my own, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for help again.

The computer I need help with currently is not playing any sound and the CD disc is also not being recognized. It's strange because the internet is functioning properly, but I have a feeling there is something fundamentally wrong with how the computer is operating right now.

I was just going to wipe it clean using the installation disc, but the computer won't recognize the cd drive and I don't know what to do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If it helps, the CD drive still opens and closes via the push of the button, but when I put any cd into it, it doesn't make any noise at all. I've tried the cd on another computer so I know that's not the problem. I've also tried deleting the "upper limit/lower limit" stuff that I found by googling, so I don't think that's it either.

What operating System?

If you open computer click > Start > click Computer or My Computer in XP, do you see the CDROM Drive listed there?

Also have you tried doing a System Restore to a time before this issue occurred.

Click Start > Programs > From the list click Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

Note CDROM drives are mechanical devices and are prone to failure at any time so keep that in mind too.

Blog Entries

After answering zep516

You can check the BIOS and see if it is recognized and is the first to boot....then press any key to clean install

Also, check the device manager and see it it shows an error...if it is there you can uninstall the it and reboot...that will auto search for the drive and install any corrupted drivers etc

The sound might show an error in the device manger too

I like the clean install if you are capable....back up your data first
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer