Default White Wavy lines across the screen

Hello,

I posted about this problem a few weeks ago where my computer screen would pixelate and just reset its self. It was then determined that I had a bad stick of RAM which I was able to replace and which then solved the problem for 2 weeks or so. last week or so I had to reformat my computer (lenovo T61) which everything was re updated to spec and everything was running fine. Then it started to pixelate again which again caused the computer to reboot on its own. When it did it once I got a little frustrated and bumped my computer a little bit which cleared the screen of the pixels but it was still frozen and re booted itself. It then happened yesterday which now it wont reboot the laptop screen is on but remains black the only way it get it to boot is by plugging in an external monitor and starting it in safemode but when I that there are wavy white horizontal lines running across the external monitors screen and the external monitor works fine. It is quite odd when you move the mouse it looks as though three other coursers are moving as well but are very faint and blurry and when you open a window it seems mirrored same as the cursors. Does anyone have any suggestions as to fix this problem ?

thanks,

-Mack-

I don't have a suggestion. It maybe time to take it in. It's beginning to sound like a power issue.

I took a few photos of the external monitor while it was booting which shows the problems I am encountering. I can post them if it will help. I would love to take it in but its not under warranty anymore so it will most likely cost an arm and a leg if parts need to be replaced.

Seems to be a problem with all Laptops. Over the course of ownership they seem to end up in a repair facility at least twice with major repairs needed. Like new motherboards. I'd like to see those pictures when you get a chance. We don't have a heating problem here do we. I forgot if we covered that possibility in the other thread. Laptops can tend to overheat.

Pictures by mattyj21 - Photobucket

I could not figure out how to upload the pictures to this site so I added them to photobucket and posted the link. These pictures were taken of the external monitor while the computer was booting into safemode unfortunately the only picture of the wavey lines is of the login screen the other two might help out as well. Thanks

Mack

Hi mattyj21,

I've copied and pasted the links to the images from photobucket just to get a better view. Please allow some time for us to research this for you. Thanks!

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi mattyj21,

From my experience with television repair that looks like a failure in the video electronics section of the laptop. My first guess would be a failed capacitor or a couple of them.
    Last edited by zep516; 11-05-2011 at 07:08 PM.

If that is the case it seems pretty shot. You know of an estimated price to fix it or is it even worth trying to fix it?

IBM Thinkpad Lenovo T61 Motherboard - 42W7653
    Condition: New
    $359.95

IBM Thinkpad Lenovo T61 Motherboard - 42W7653 - Nextag Stores

If you took it in for service that's most likely what the technician will do replace the motherboard at around that price above plus his labor. If you have a repair shop around they may have a working used Laptop for that price, maybe you could trade that in and get a few bucks toward the purchase. Need to find the right shop though. Just a thought.

I just replaced one on a Gateway Laptop and it was 300 some change at a small shop here in Chicago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Yeah I don't even know if it will be worth it to fix at that price. I had the mother board replaced once before but it was under warranty so it was free. I am planing on building a computer once I get a job I was just looking to buy me some time. Ill look around at some prices and see whats up. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.