Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default BBC vidoes won't play

Out of the blue I can't play videos on the bbc news website anymore, they just won't load BBC News - Home This was working fine until a week ago. I don't know if it's relevant, but I have no problems using bbc iplayer on other bbc sites.

I found a thread elsewhere where they suggested that flash player settings may be at fault but I set them according to Arraknid's instructions on this thread ages ago and I haven't changed them Help2Go Forums - How to stop Flash Player creating cookies on your computer

Any ideas as to what might be causing this please and how to rectify it?

Thanks
    Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

Does this happen in both Firefox and IE?

See if any of the solutions in the following links help at all. The first targets the Chrome browser though some of the posts discusses other browsers and the Global Settings in Flash Player. Try tweaking the settings for Allow third party Flash content. There are a few other workarounds included that has helped others.

I can't play videos on the BBC website. - Google Chrome Help

BBC News - Your guide to the BBC Embedded Media Player

Let us know if anything has helped.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi Donna, thanks for the reply and the links you posted. Yes, it's happening both in IE and FF.

Although I didn't want to reduce the security levels, I tried altering the flash settings by ticking "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer" as suggested but it didn't make any difference, still won't work.

According to the BBC link you posted they're in transition between two different levels of embedded player which, for the moment at least, require LSO's to communicate (if I've understood it correctly). A full player (one presumably that doesn't require third party flash content to be enabled) won't be released until February next year. So it seems that until February we'll have to allow LSO's. Not very satisfactory in my view.

Having said all that, allowing them hasn't made any difference and it still isn't working!

Any other ideas?

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Hey Steph,

You're welcome!

What version of Adobe Flash Player do you have installed?

Click on the following link and it will detect which version.

Adobe - Flash Player

I found that I have no trouble playing videos in the following link in Firefox 7.0.1

BBC NEWS | Business | RBS to ask shareholders for cash

yet in IE8 I get the following message.

You do not have the correct version of the flash player

I'm going to update to see if that helps. My little experiment may help you too!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi Donna,

I have v. 11.01.152 in both IE and FF.

I'm still using FF 3.6.23 - think that might have something to do with it? I seem to remember we had a discussion about FF versions not long ago and I didn't upgrade to v. 5 (which it's offering me right now).

How did your experiment go?

Steph
    Last edited by Steph; 11-06-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: clarify information given

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

My experiment did not go well at all. In Firefox I did get the setup file to download to the desktop then when I clicked to install it just....disappeared!?!?!? I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have Shockwave Flash as a plugin on FF?

In IE I clicked on the setup file and got a message that said:

Only a single instance of this application can run

Not sure what that means really. I don't have Adobe Flash Player installed but I do have Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin that displays in my Programs list. In the link below I found they have different installers.

Adobe Forums: Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX and Adobe Flash Player Plugin

I'm going to have to do some more research on this.

As for FF 3.6.23 I don't think it would make a difference and yes I do remember the discussion we had. Here the link to that thread.

Not sure what to do now to tell the truth. Hopefully one of the other members have a solution.

Hi again!

Forgot to mention, if you do decide to upgrade FF I would go straight to 7.0.1 instead of 5. Version 5 was discussed in the other thread and there were issues with it.

Here's a link I found where they downloaded the video clip (flash video) successfully using OrbitDownloader.

Capture/download videos on BBC - mozilla.support.firefox | Google Groups

Steph,

I have a new development! IE is now playing the news videos from the link above.

I have this program installed called Update Checker. What it does is checks for programs that need updating and provides a link for the update. When ran this morning it gave me a link to update Adobe Flash Player to 11.2 and once it updated the videos played just fine in IE8. This may help you too! I hope so.

Have a nice day!

steph...

Just to let you know that here in Spain I'm using Firefox 3.6.23 and plug-in v.11.1.152 just he same as you and not having any problems with the BBC videos.
    Not a lot of help I know but it might help to narrow down your fault finding.

Thanks whitenoiz, now that just makes it all the more annoying that mine won't work I wonder if I have a file missing or something?

Donna
    Weird, because I use FileHippo Update checker as well and it's telling me that my system is completely up to date Also, I've checked Adobe and it doesn't show v. 11.2, the latest offering is the version I have. Curiouser and curiouser.

Soo .. what to do? Unless anyone else has any bright ideas, I think I'll try the Orbitdownloader next.

I'll report back.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast