Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Computer

JWB

Default Old Computer

I put our old computer in storage for awhile, then I got it back out and tried to fire it back up. The power came on and the screen had the blue HP Invent on it for afew seconds then went black and had the message " operating system not found". Whatever buttons you pushed it just repeated the message. Does anyone have a clue? I don't!

Can you give specific details on the make/model of your computer?

That error could be an indication that your hard drive has failed. It's also possible a cable inside the computer has worked loose during movement from storage to use.

Another item to check is the disk drives. Make sure no disks are in the trays.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

JWB

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Can you give specific details on the make/model of your computer?

That error could be an indication that your hard drive has failed. It's also possible a cable inside the computer has worked loose during movement from storage to use.

Another item to check is the disk drives. Make sure no disks are in the trays.

JWB

Thanks for answering zep516 , the old computer is an HP Pavilion Home Edition XT963, not sure of all of the specific's, but I think you might have something about the disk drive. I can't get the tray to open to check! Also, there are 3 unconnected cables, but I think they may be for adding a second disk drive or something, not sure.

Right those cables are for adding a second drive, I would re-seat the cables attached to the Hard drive. Take them off and reconnect them just in case there loose even if they don't look loose.

can't get the tray to open to check!
    That's not a good sign, when a computer first starts up it looks at the BIOS first. (Basic Input / output Instruction Set) The BIOS tells the computer what to do and where to look for the "operating system", in most cases it looks at the CDROM drive, and the floppy drive (if there is one) first. If no media or disc is found it then looks at the "C" drive (Hard drive). That order of operation is set in the BIOS and can be changed "if you can access the BIOS". It's possible there could be a jammed disc in that drive and windows reports no operating system found since it may not be able to read the disc if there is even one in there. If you can't get it open, try entering the BIOS so you can change the boot order,

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS screen by pressing the F1 or F10 key at the first screen.

Let us know if you enter the BIOS.

Blog Entries
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

JWB

Thanks abseh1, I tried the paper clip in the hole trick, but it didn't work for me. THIS THING IS ABOUT TO BE TRASHED!!

JWB

OK zep516, After reconnecting cables this the screen I got on start up. Phoenix BIOS Release 6.0H, (Copyright info), 640K system passed, 254M Extended Ram passed, 256K Cache SRam Passed, System BIOS shadowed, VIDEO BIOS shadowed, UMB upper limi segment address:E70D, mouse inialized, ERROR, Resource conflict- PCI in slot 03, Bus:01, Device:OA, Function:00, Press <F1> to set up, <F2> to resume.

THIS THING IS ABOUT TO BE TRASHED!!
    With all the effort you might put into this, at the end of the day, you'll still have an old HP Pavilion Home Edition XT963

knowing what to throw away, and knowing what to keep.
    You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em

Blog Entries

Another option is to make it a Linux server
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast