Default Page File fragmentation

Would the fact that I get "extra" page files indicate a memory problem?
    I have 112 gig of disk and have been reserving 3200mb for a page file.
    I ran belarc advisor and it still finds both half gig memory cards. I am just wondering why the fragmentation of the page file?

Blog Entries

Most experts say the page file should be on a separate disk from the operating system...you may have page files on more than one disk?

I prefer to advise the average user to leave the page file alone and let Windows run the page file
    (You can cause windows to fail to boot if you set it incorrectly)

Many of us simply use the pages/sec file size counter to calculate the paging file size.
    (usually refers to 64 bit systems which allow much more ram than 32 bit)

But the answer that you receive through this method may not be accurate.

The pages/sec counter can be accessed while using the System Monitor.
    (click the performance tab)

No doubt, the data that you get through this method is also very useful.

The pages/sec value that you get here is the sum of the pages input/sec and the pages output/sec counter values. So, if monitoring memory pressure is your main concern then pages/sec is the value that you need to monitor.

However, if you want to know the minimum page file size required by the system, then you can add the peak private bytes used in the system by all the processes running in the system and subtract the memory in the system.

The value that you get is the minimum size of paging files required by your system.
    Last edited by abseh1; 12-14-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks, right now I am running with no page file. Unless I start getting problems I may just stay that way. I had (maybe) made a mistake of having the reserved space at 3200 and the max at 4000. I think somewhere I read that they should be the same. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Your welcome

My advice is not to disable the pagefile, because Windows will move pages from RAM to the pagefile only when necessary.

Furthermore, you gain no performance improvement by turning off the pagefile.

To save disk space, you can set a small initial pagefile size (as little as 100MB) and set a high maximum size (e.g., 1GB) so that Windows can increase the size if needed.

With 1GB of RAM under normal application loads, the pagefile would probably never need to grow.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that the computer seems to be running much better since I removed it. A big change that I have noticed is that when I reboot I have been having a long pause at the time that windows was shutting down. Now if I hit restart, the computer shuts down and comes back up so fast that I am hardly down. I don't know the connection, but there it is. I haven't noticed any problem, so think that I will continue for awhile. If I get problems I can always recreate the page file. Again, thanks for your concern and help.

Blog Entries

Your welcome...I have been talking mostly about winxp...what OS do you use?

Win7 needs 2Gig plus actually 4Gig plus is better...WinXP is usually OK with 1Gig of RAM

If your computer fails to boot start with no page file...best wishes and a Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday