Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Uninstall Google Chrome

When I try to install Google Chrome it tells me to close all of the Google windows and try again. All Google windows are closed and all other windows are closed also and I still cannot uninstall it. What do I do?

Hi babby169,

Welcome to Help2Go!

There is another way to uninstall Google Chrome though my instructions involve modifying your Windows registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.

Please read the instructions below thoroughly before proceeding and if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask first.

Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. If you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
    1. Download ERUNT
      (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
    2. Install ERUNT by following the prompts
      (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
    3. Start ERUNT
      (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
    4. Choose a location for the backup
      (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
    5. Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
    6. Press OK
    7. Press YES to create the folder.

NEXT:

Once you have your registry backed up, please follow the instructions below:

Make sure extensions are displayed for your files. Here's how:

• Go to the Start menu > Control Panel.
    • Double-click Folder Options.
    • Click View.
    • Make sure the "Hide extensions for known file types" checkbox is deselected.

NEXT:

1. Right-click this link.
    2. Click Save Link as and save the file name as remove.reg (Select "All files" as your file type.)
    3. Exit ALL browsers completely.
    4. Double-click remove.reg on your desktop.
    5. In the confirmation window, click Yes.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Go to the Start > Run.
    8. Enter one of the following commands in the text field, depending on your operating system:
      Windows XP:%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google
      Windows Vista & Win7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google
    9. Delete the Google Chrome folder in the directory that opens.

Google Chrome should now be uninstalled.

Lets us know if you had success or not uninstalling Google Chrome.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

I am afraid but I will try it this afternoon.

O, by the way I have windows Vista, on my control panel I do not have Folder Option. Is it under something else?

I had this same problem. You have to go into your Task Manager, and find the Chorme.exe system file that is running, under 'applications' and then delete it. After that, you should be able to restart your computer, and go from there. This worked for me in Windows 7, and will hopefully work for you too. Good luck~ Collegekid

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crash For This Useful Post:

Hello babby169,

See if the steps below will help to find Folder Options.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Let us know....

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Posted by babby169:
    O, by the way I have windows Vista, on my control panel I do not have Folder Option. Is it under something else?
    My apologies. I have my Vista Control Panel displayed in the Classic View which can be achieved by clicking on Classic View in the left pane of the Control Panel window on your Vista, too!

Please follow zep516's advice as below to find the Folders Options:

Posted by zep516:
    Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
    Posted by babby169:
    I am afraid but I will try it this afternoon.
    Your honesty is commendable. ERUNT backup is your "safety net". If you do feel uncomfortable, follow collegekids advice who just happens to be logged in on his fathers acct. (LOL!) who can't get the rewards he deserves on his own acct. for such good advice.

If you still can't get Google Chrome uninstalled try my method. Just make sure to follow the instructions for downloading ERUNT and making a backup of your registry. Not as hard as you think.

Please let us know how you do.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thank all of you so much. I was afraid to use the ERUNT right now because I a not very good with computers. The person who told me to go to Task Manager and delete Google Chrome.exe helped me a lot. I went there and found it not under Applications but under Services and deleted it and was able to uninstall Google Chrome. Thank all of you for taking the time to help me out
    this way. I was at my wits end. I am glad I have joined this group. Thanks, Thanks again.

Hi babby169,

I'm so glad that collegekids (aka crash) advice helped you. It helped me as well. I remember not long ago I too did not have much confidence in my computing abilities. But, I stuck around, read threads, and learned with the guidance of the dedicated members of H2G. Soon you will too. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask.

Happy and safe surfing!

Donna

babby169,

Again Welcome to help2go !! And thank you for using help2go to resolve your computer issue. From all of us of the help2go team safe surfing!
    Last edited by zep516; 12-18-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast