Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deleted files from external hard drive

Is it possible to recover these? I purchased a recovery program online and I cannot open the files I recovered. Tech guy says I should be able to preview the files when the scan is complete before I recover them but I can't and just recovered anyway in hopes it would work. I'm still in communication with the developer but if anybody has any other idea that would be helpful please advise. The program I purchased is Stellar Phoenix.

Hi otep12,

You could try Recuva. It's free!!! I've never tried it on an External HD but it's worth a shot.

For best results on recovering lost data:

Stop using the external hard drive till you recover deleted data from it. Do not download or install any software to the external hard drive from which you have lost data. This can overwrite the lost data rendering it lost forever!

Good luck!

EDIT:

Thought it would be a good idea to add the following info about recovering deleted files from an internal HD:

The more you use the Computer once you have deleted the Files, the less chance of recovering them with any program, because the deleted Files are quickly overwritten.

What I always suggest is as follows:

Using a second computer to download and install Recuva Portable to a flash drive, then running it from the flash drive on the computer that has the lost files seems to be the safest way to get the best success.

Compliments go to MrDarn for this excellent advice!
    Last edited by DonnaB; 01-16-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB
    Thought it would be a good idea to add the following info about recovering deleted files from an internal HD:

The more you use the Computer once you have deleted the Files, the less chance of recovering them with any program, because the deleted Files are quickly overwritten.
    Just to emphasize, this certainly applies to external drives too, not just internal - especially if the external drive has installed program files on it, or has been designated as a temporary file location.

Note that deleted file recovery is just another reason to never use an automatic or scheduled disk defragger too.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thanks all. I have not tried Recuva yet. Still trying to work it out with the developer, however it looks like those files are lost forever.

I purchased a recovery program online and I cannot open the files I recovered.
    Otep12,

My apologies. I completely overlooked the fact that the files were recovered , yet you could not open them.

Could you please provide the extensions of the files that you are trying to open, we may be able to help you further.

Exactly what message are you receiving when attempting to open those files?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Also note that recovery programs may not be able to recover the entire file, but only segments. So if you have a 10 page word document, you may only get 8 pages worth of document segments you then have to piece together, then fill in the gaps.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi...
    I dont know about stellar phoenix. But when i am facing same problem i have used Remo recovery software and
    i recover deleted word file from external hard drive. Also i recovered some other files. Now i will suggest you to use this software to
    recover deleted files.

Hi Donna,

It's an MP4 file. I tried several programs but nothing worked. Screenshot below:

Hi otep12,

Are you by any chance getting this error on your Macbook? If so, have you tried QuickTime Player 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later.

Also, if I am correct that this is concerning your Macbook, I'd like to suggest to you again to join the MacRumors forum. They will be able to help you much more efficiently than we can. The programs for Windows and Mac's are very different and the members at MacRumors know the Mac program's as well as we know the Windows programs.

Donna

I tried opening the file on my PC and it also didn't work along with several other media players (DivX, VLC, etc..)

Quicktime 7 is only for Snow Leopard OS and newer, I have the old Leopard OS. However, I think it can be downloaded on a PC so that will be my next resort.

I will try MacRumors as well. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast