Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paranoid question about remote access.

Recently, I had to have a technician use remote access to download some new software to my computer. I'm feeling paranoid that they may still be able to access my computer. Are my fears founded? Or is there something I can do to make sure that they can't remotely access my computer again without my permission?

Hi Collegekid,

I would never allow anyone to access my computer remotely unless I knew them personally.

There is a way to make sure they can't access your computer in the future. If I remember correctly ou have a Win7 OS, right?

Click on Start then right click on Computer in the right pane and choose Properties. Next, click on Remote Settings in the left pane. In the next dialogue window under the Remote tab make sure that there is no check mark in the box to the left of Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer. Click Apply then OK.

Windows 7 has a good Firewall. Keep it turned on. Keep your AV software up to date as well.

There are other ways that are more drastic concerning disabling services and by configuring Group Policies. Those I am not familiar with...yet. I'll let someone else explain that to you while I head off to the wonderful world of google to find out more about that myself.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the help, however, when I go into properties, I don't have a 'remote settings' option anywhere.

When I go into the 'security' tab, I can see who on my computer has what options. I am the admin, and have almost all rights..except for a box that says 'special permissions' Under 'authenticated users.' I can't unclick 'allow' on this option, and that worries me.

Okay, so found the remote access thing, but it was under system properties instead, and it is now disabled Thanks Donna, as always!

You're welcome Collegekid.

The instructions I gave are for Vista. I thought Win7 would be similar. At least they are on my Win7 & Vista.

Here's a link that I found for how to disable Remote Settings for Win7. Thought I'd go ahead and post it even though you found the answer before I did. It may help someone.

Turn on Remote Desktop in Windows 7 or Vista

Configure Remote Desktop Access on Windows 7 Systems
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Coming in a bit late but in addition to Donna's excellent advice, did this technician ask you to install anything so he could gain remove access? Such a TeamViewer or Logmein? If so, you can go into Control Panel and uninstall those programs. Also, you can have your ISP change your IP address. Depending on your setup, you may be able to do this yourself by unplugging the power to your modem for an hour or so, or call them up simply tell them you are worried and want a new IP. They should not give you any hassles about that.

Also, did you initiate the contact with this technician? I assume so but I would be paranoid if a technician contacted me out of the blue wanting access. Finally, the programs he had you install - make sure you need them. Ask here or plug them into your favorite search engine to make sure they are legit.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

yes, I had the technician work with permission. I had no idea I could change my IP address, so I might do that. And I had to go through IE, but I mainly use firefox. Also, I think I did use Logmein, but I don't remember him installing it. I'll check my control panel and see what I can find. Thanks so much!

Under Programs and Features in Control Panel is where I would look for Logmein.

And if you are directly connect to your modem, you should consider getting a router - even if there is only one computer. The router will then assume the IP address assigned by your ISP, and issue your a computer a new one.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

We do have a wireless router for my laptop and my dads. I also checked all my programs, and did a search, and nothing to be found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast