Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HP dc7600 mother board question

Hello, I've got a desktop PC that I've pieced together (case, motherboard, power supply, etc). I'm using a motherboard from a HP dc7600. I'm wanting to install a 64-bit OS, but I want to make sure that it'll work. I've read a few things online about this mother board being 64-bit capable, but I just wanted to check here for myself to see if anyone knows for sure. Thanks in advance.

The determining factor for 64-bit OS being installed is going to be the processor installed on the mother board. A 64 Bit processor would be required to run a 64Bit Operating System. I don't think that board came with a 64 Bit processor though. Do you have the numbers on the processor located on the board?

Joe..

I dont have the info from the processor. I'd have to take the heat sink off, clean the thermal compund, etc. Can I get the processor info from bios??

Hi,

See the link, is that your board below? If so none of the processors listed that came with that board are 64 Bit processors, most likely you have a small Celeron processor on that board.

HP Compaq dc7600 Business PC - Worldwide QuickSpecs

Celeron is a brand name given by Intel Corp. to a number of different x86 computer microprocessor models targeted at budget personal computers.

Celeron processors can run all IA-32 computer programs, but their performance is often significantly lower when compared to similar CPUs with higher-priced Intel CPU brands. For example, the Celeron brand will often have less cache memory, or have advanced features purposely disabled. These missing features can have a variable impact on performance, but is often very substantial. While a few of the Celeron designs have achieved surprising performance, most of the Celeron line has exhibited noticeably degraded performance. This has been the primary justification for the higher cost of other Intel CPU brands versus the Celeron range.
    Joe..

I know it's not a Celeron, the processor is a P4 w/ hyper-threading, I think a 3.0GHz?? Give me a minute or two and I'll try check it out in bios.

You could also just right click on "MyComputer" and then choose "Properties" that will tell you the processor type or it should.

I dont have an OS installed on it yet. I've booted it multiple times trying to work out some issues w/ the front audio & USB connections and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the "P4 w/ Hyper-Threading" logo in the bottom right of the HP splash screen.

Let me finish up a thing or two here and I'll boot it and let you know for sure.

Ahh, I forgot that I did install XP on it a couple of weeks ago, so that I could update the BIOS.

When I look at "My Computer / Properties" it shows the processor as an Intel, Pentium4, 3GHz and it does have Hyper-Threading. Device manager shows "ACPI\GENUINEINTEL-X86 FAMILY 15 MODEL 4\0". Not sure it that'll help out at all??

It's not going to run a 64 Bit operating system that's a 32 Bit processor, it probably may not even run windows 7 or vista either efficiently 64 Bit or 32 Bit, it's just to old of a motherboard and other things come into play too. Is that what you were thinking installing Windows 7 64 Bit?

Joe..

It was a bunch of parts that I put together, an extra case, the HP motherboard, etc and I actually wanted to use it has a home server. WHS 2011 is 64 bit, and I looked online and most of what I saw showed the dc7600 to be a 64-bit compatible mother board. But someone questioned me about it yesterday, so I figured that I'd check into it more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast