Default Download Folder Wont Automatically Refresh

Hi all,

A while ago I lost my download folder on my Windows Vista laptop, I got it back (I believe by a restore or similar) and works OK apart from 1 issue. If for example I download some files into this folder from Firefox, it has a temp file while downloading. Normally when you finish downloading the folder would refresh and just display the completed file, but here the temp file is not being removed and I have to manually refresh the folder each time to kinda clean-up the folder from temp files.

Is there a way to make this folder auto-refresh? Would those be the right words...?

Thanks!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi sunhawk,

The only thing I can think of is to re-set Firefox to download to the download folder. In FF > Tools > Options > General tab > check box 'Save files to' and browse to the download file. If download file is already chosen, choose another save to place (desktop) and see if it works there .. if it does, try again to set it to download file.

Stay tuned, others may have further insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Hi sunhawk,

The only thing I can think of is to re-set Firefox to download to the download folder. In FF > Tools > Options > General tab > check box 'Save files to' and browse to the download file. If download file is already chosen, choose another save to place (desktop) and see if it works there .. if it does, try again to set it to download file.

Stay tuned, others may have further insights.
    Thanks Canuck but still having the same problem with the folder not auto-refreshing.

Hi sunhawk

You lost it and got it back by a restore, but it fails to function correctly. odd!

Check the files on Vista by performing the exercise below:

Try using System File Checker,
    System File Checker merely makes sure that all system files are where they should be. The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
    Open an Elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, then type cmd in the Start Search box. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

At the command prompt, type the following command, sfc /scannow and then press ENTER.

The scan may take some time to complete. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If required, Windows may prompt you to insert the Operating System CD.

Let us know the outcome.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

(Oops ...I did not see zep's post)

Try the following:

Possible Solution;

Disable the auto scan in Firefox

Type in "about:config" in the address bar in Firefox (without quotes)...Click Enter

Click the.... I'll be careful,I promise button

Type in "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" in the filter bar near the top
    (Without the quotes or copy and paste, without the quotes)

One option should show up that has true under the value

Double Click it and it should then say false and also all the text should go bold.

This should make it work for all file downloads in Firefox

Just close the Firefox Browser and download a file as needed
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-15-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

No problem abseh1 We're all in this together!

sunhawk Might want to try abseh1's instructions first, then mine if they fail to remedy the issue at hand.

Joe.
    Last edited by zep516; 02-15-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the quick responses, always appreciated. The only solution that worked for me was from zep51 so thanks very much, it's been an annoyance for sometime. Can sfc be used on other windows OS's from XP onwards? Is it generally safe or would you normally advise make a system restore first for example?

Hi sunhawk,

It is safe to run and a System restore would really not be necessary.

System File Checker, is a good utility to run when you suspect that system files have been somehow corrupted. It validates the digital signatures of all of the Windows system files and restores any that it finds are incorrect. It will use the on-disk cache if possible, but SFC may require that you provide your original installation CD or a location with an image thereof.

System File Checker is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. This utility is available on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. Windows Vista, although in the Windows NT family of operating systems, scans files using Windows Resource Protection.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, System File Checker is integrated with Windows Resource Protection, which protects registry keys and folders as well as critical system files. Under Windows Vista, sfc.exe can be used to check specific folder paths, including the Windows folder and the boot folder.

Windows File Protection works by registering for notification of file changes in Winlogon. If any changes are detected to a protected system file, the modified file is restored from a cached copy located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. Windows Resource Protection works by setting discretionary access control lists (DACLs) and access control lists (ACLs) defined for protected resources. Permission for full access to modify WRP-protected resources is restricted to the processes using the Windows Modules Installer service (TrustedInstaller.exe). Administrators no longer have full rights to system files.
    Information obtained from here:

System File Checker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post: