Default Problems with my Compaq Presario CQ60

Hi, I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 that I bought in the fall of 2009 that is now having some problems. A few months ago the screen lighting became odd (it sometimes flickers darker, though never off) and it began to sometimes skip or pause when playing music. It can also be quite slow at times. In the last couple days there have been a couple new developments. First of all, it started making an odd noise every once and a while that sounds like there is something loose inside of it that's being shaken up (though it has happened a few times when the computer is completely still). Second of all, the battery died. My question then is if it makes sense to buy a new battery and if so if there's anything else I can do to improve the laptop's performance at all, or if it's just about to die and I should buy a new one.

Thanks for any advice!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

As you can see, HP Compaq CQ60-215DX Overview & User Reviews - Laptops - CNET Reviews the review doesn't rate this laptop very high for speed and battery life. If you're willing to put out about $50. for a battery (can you not run it direct from power outlet?). You could try cleaning it up by deleting unwanted programs and data files, temp files and programs running in the background. Download and install Ccleaner and run it, if you haven't used this program before, it may take awhile for it to complete the process. NOTE Ccleaner comes with a built-in registry cleaner .. we strongly advise not to use this or any registry cleaner as they have been known to delete valid registry entries and consequently your PC could have problems .. the amount of space saved is not worth the risk.

If you wish, you can post a Highjackthis log and we can get a better idea of whats going on.

Blog Entries

Run the Hijackthis log first as advised by Canuck

==============================

Nvidia just came out with several video driver updates

Not sure but you could try updating the driver and software

Then check the Device Manager for errors

Software & Driver Downloads Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer