Default Asus g71g new fan not working

Old fan on my asus wasnt working so i ordered a replacement. I took the old fan out and put in the new one and it still will not work. Computer starts up fin but will over heat because of the fan. Is there some setting im not aware of to get this thing working? Any idea on what else may be causing it? Its running vista btw.

Hi hhalpin713,

Welcome to Help2Go!

It sounds like a possible motherboard problem where the fan connects to. Nothing may have been wrong with the old fan to begin with. I can only suggest taking it in for service before any more problems result from overheating.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

You may also be able to connect the fan directly to the power supply for power. However, depending on your BIOS, it may be expecting to see a fan on that header so you may need to disable fan detection there to allow the computer to keep running. I would monitor your temps just to be sure all stays cool.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Take the old fan with the computer to a mom pop shop...they should test it for free...if you include a reasonable negotiated fee for them to make any needed repairs
    Or,
    You can use a small cheap multimeter ...most surely, someone in every neighborhood will know how to test with it

If it is OK....you have eliminated the fan as an issue and probably have a power source issue from the MOBO etc

Might just be a damaged connecting wire or connection that could be soldered or repaired....each laptop is different

As mentioned by zep516...you do not want to keep overheating....it only takes seconds to fry a CPU
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-27-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

You cannot properly test a fan with a multi-meter. Direct connecting to a PSU is the best test for a fan. You can test the motherboard fan header with a multi-meter - if you know what to look for. But again, if the fan works directly from the PSU, but not the motherboard header, then that points to the header.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

In summary....take it to a shop....seems to be a serious failure , just reading the post

You can always remove the HDD and backup files too
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-27-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: removed text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer