Default "Safe" Search Engine

I presently have Google as my home page in FireFox. I keep seeing warnings about Google going to a new practice of monitoring searches. I remember at one time quite awhile ago Kim Kommando had a search engine that she said did what Google does and was "safer". I don't remember the name. I know that there are other search engines, but have not tried them (very much). Any one here know of a good alternative to Google?
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

It is true Google is intrusive but does its job

Bing has become better and better too ( Bing used to be MSN search until it was updated in summer of 2009.)

It is almost like choosing a favorite car between Ford Vs Chevy for an example ....it is a subjective type argument

Below is a list... maybe? Kim Kommando's is there too

(This was done with a Google search lol)

The Emphasis is more on useful not safe....I do not know the safest...but it is not Google
    Still I use Google daily....life is short

The 10 Most Useful Search Engines for Beginners, 2012
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-28-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I define safe searching for adults, as being able to see everything, and yet be protected against sites that deliver malware, trojans and spyware.

If you follow my definition, the WOT-SurfCanyon site is a search service that you may want to use.

I honestly do not use it...you will see little icons @ the end of a search result that give real time recommendations...other search engines do the same too

A safe practice for any search engine is to avoid the ads ..usually @ the top and side of the search results, and go directly to the web results. (The ads are how they make $$$)
    WOT - Surf Canyon Search
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your help. I found a site (using google) that said that to avoid the tracking and spam, to go to google and remove your history. I tried to go but google wouldn't let me log on. Then I tried to destroy my account and google claims that I don't have an account. Maybe I'm safe after all. (if somehow they didn't record my email that I was trying to log in with.) I was using one that I had looked up in my firefox passwords. Guess I'll just see if I start getting Spam. I hate to change email addresses again, since I have some messages stored that I would like to keep. Again, thanks.

Blog Entries

Arbfarkle

You are welcome ...my pleasure

Not necessary but I have several email addys

One I specifically use for sites that are not necessary (CompUSA...PC World etc)....but I want their emails sent to me

One main email ...for only friends and family...I do not give it out to anyone else

I use Thunderbird as an email client it has a very similiar look to Outlook Express but is safer
    It has a junk option that you click if Spam gets through and it stops it in the future with a single click

It has many options that take awhile for a new user to find...but once you learn to use the features it is simple

This has nothing to do with search engines ....but since you are making a great effect to be safe, I thought I would mention it

You are to be commended...we each have a responsibility to one another to keep the Internet as safe and efficient as we can
    =============================================================================
    Cutting Out the Junk

Thunderbird's popular junk mail tools have been updated to stay ahead of spam. Each email you receive passes through Thunderbird's leading-edge junk mail filters. Each time you mark messages as spam, Thunderbird "learns" and improves its filtering so you can spend more time reading the mail that matters. Thunderbird can also use your mail provider's spam filters to keep junk mail out of your inbox.
    Thunderbird Features

Blog Entries

The previous post was getting voluminous so here is another great search feature that allows you directly search the web from your email in Thunderbird

Search the Web

You can now search the Web without having to leave Thunderbird. Type whatever comes to mind in Thunderbird's search box and choose from several different search resources such as Google, Bing, Twitter, Wikipedia, and several more to find the answer you need.

You can also highlight words in your email, right click, and select "search the web for:" to start your Web search.

I'm always surprised by peoples paranoia when it comes to privacy issues.

Personally, i do not search for anything that i cannot justify. I hate adverts for things in general, but i especially hate adverts that are nothing to do with my life or interests.
    I don't care what anyone records about me. The usefullness of the information is very questionable really, except i will see adverts relating to my interests.

My point is... so?

I also have an I Phone, and have read all about its tracking ability's. Again, i don't see how this information can be harmful to me any more than CCTV cameras, facial recognition, store loyalty cards, my bank card (the REAL trend information log!) or my cars GPS, yet i don't worry about these either.

Personally, i will still use google. For me, its been the best search engine for years.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Blog Entries

MrDarn

I agree I use Google too...in another post I stated you only live once (enjoy it)

Google does the job well

I do have several Google email accounts that I prefer they do not read

I do believe that avoiding spreading junk (malware, viruses etc) is a responsibility of us all

Your point is well taken too...abs