Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Cool Previous owners users profile

I purchased a laptop on Craigllist but the previous owners admin profile is controlling the machine. I cannot create my own admin account and remove the previous owners. Is there a method to clean up the user profiles or do I need to reinstall the OS?
    A Dell Inspiron 1720 running VISTA, internet explorer 9.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I would suggest you do a clean install of Vista and start fresh. Our policy here at H2G is not to assist in getting around passwords, I assume you do have access with a password as you are able to go into user profiles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Will this require the VISTA install disc? I do not have the disc since this laptop is used. The laptop never required a password to set myself up as a user although the hierchy is one level under the original owner. I don't seem to be able to set myself up as a primary user.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I'm not a Vista user and from what I gather, the procedure is different than with XP. Others may jump in to help, so stay tuned.

You may have a hidden recovery section you can use to reinstall the operating system.
    it is normally accessed by hitting a certain button during startup, such as F10, to get to a recovery menu, but i believe dell has their own way of doing this, so it might not be the case.

it is, however, worth a try.

You are looking for some sort of option that refers to "repair my computer"

another route, if you do not have any major problems with the current OS, is to burn new recovery disks from the computer in question.

Again, dell may do things differently, but look around the start menu for some sort of backup and restore facility. one of them may include a way to burn new recovery disks for use in a clean instalation.

I'm sorry i'm not up on dell computers. I really should be!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

MrDarn is correct. To acces the Dell Factory Image partiton you have the boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu.

• Restart the computer.
    • As the computer restarts, press F8 until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

• NOTE: You must press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press F8 after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

• Press Down Arrow to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.
    • Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
    • Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
    • Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition checkbox.
    • Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
    • When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

Here's a link to the manual if needed.

Dell™ Inspiron™ 1720 owners manual

You may also be able to borrow a Vista Retail disc to preform a clean install, as Canuck suggests, and use the COA that is displayed on the sticker of the computer. It must be the same OS version, such as if your computer has Vista Home Premium installed you will need a Vista Home Premium Retail disc. It must be a Retail disc!

I recently did this on my sons laptop though it was a Win7. You can also get the COA by installing Belarc Advisory. That program audits the system and will list ALL the Product Keys for ALL the MS software that is installed.

I prefer that method because you don't end up with all the pre-installed factory software that takes time to uninstall, though you will have to install ALL the software including AV, Java, Adobe, etc. Then to MS updates you'll need to go.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thank you so much my PC friends. I have returned to this site many times for PC technical support and always find an answer. Thanks DonnaB, your advice was the answer. I restarted the PC and reinstalled the original Vista image and it worked fine.
    Thanks again.

Blog Entries

capndavid

BTW: do not forget to run Windows Updates
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

You're welcome capndavid. Compliments belong to MrDarn. If not for his humble post, I'm not quite sure I would have remembered the experience with my Dell and that Dell has their own way of doing things.

Kudos to MrD!

As posted by abseh1:
    capndavid

Ditto! That may take while too! Let us know if you need any help removing any of those pre-installed software programs to. The AV, I'm sure, will be a trial version that was installed.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    capndavid

Thanks Abseh1, your are correct Windows auto update is attempting to update 85 thats 85 files.....gonna be here awhile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast