Default back up with usb

I have never had this happen before: when I plug in the usb to do a backup, my computer freezes. My computer is 7years old and showing signs of aging so I want to make sure my files are backed up. Hope you can give me an answer - in laymans terms please, please. Thanks.

Blog Entries

If you have more than one USB port try a different USB port....USB ports do fail
    USB ports on the back of the computer usually work best vs USB's on the front....because of the motherboard

Try another pen drive too....that will rule out the USB Media being bad...pen drives fail too

Try to plug in the USB drive before you turn on the computer ...that may work

Go to device manager , open the USB controllers ,
    If you find one with a yellow check mark, uninstall it , then rescan for
    hardware changes-Windows should reinstall the USB driver at this point.

BTW: Is this WIN XP?
    Last edited by abseh1; 03-05-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

To eliminate the possibility that it is the USB drive or not, try it in another computer.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I agree, but the backup program is not always fitting to another computer....so it may not open the backup files

Donna is right it is another option too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thank you Abseh and Donna. Except for trying another computer,Donna, I have done all you suggested, Abseh (including checking into the Device Manager - no yellow flag there). When I plugged in the USB before logging on, the computer did not freeze but a message was to safely remove the USB. I had the same problems, freezing etc., when I used a different USB. It seems that the computer is at fault? I have no idea where to plug in the USB at the back of the computer. I have an 80+ brain and it's trying to get the hang of a 21st century gadget!