Thread: Slow system

Default Slow system

Hi please could anyone advise? I'm asking on behalf of a friend who needs advice for tommorow (sunday 11th). His computer is running really slow, the only information I have is that he's on Vista. He's defragmented his system, got rid of some unwanted programmes, done many virus checks & no viruses have been found but his system is still sluggish. He's run Norton anti-virus which has confirmed no viruses or trojans or gremlins. He's backed up everything & checked his registry, cache, and hard drive but nothing was found to be bad. His system was previously very responsive, and according to his account of the processor (which I can't remember, sorry), the system should run & respond a lot quicker than it does, He also has no evidence of any spyware or malware. Please....any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Hi Number7,

My apologies for the delay.

To get a better picture of what may be slowing his system down we'll need to see a HiJackThis log. Can you have him follow the instructions below and post the log in this thread please?

Download HijackThis from HERE to the Desktop.
    • Double-click on HJTInstall.exe
    • Click on the Install button.
    • It will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe.
    • Upon install, HijackThis should open for you.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button
    • HijackThis will scan and then a log will open in notepad.
    • Copy and then paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.

Do not have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 03-10-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"