Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default watching HD videos

I have an older laptop that I use to watch videos but whenever I try to watch an hd video, it pixelates very badly!! I know it's not my connection because this also happens with hd videos that have been downloaded!

So now I'm thinking of buying another computer. (I also use PhotoShop & some hidden object games but mostly I will be using this computer to watch videos)

What do you think of this computer? Will it play videeos better?

eMachines Black EL1352G-01w

The eMachines desktop PC is space-saving and affordable with reliable AMD Sempron processing, rich graphics performance and plenty of storage space for your media and files. With Microsoft Office Starter 2010, Windows 7 Home Premium and front accessible ports, you'll have everything you need. This eMachines desktop PC makes it simple to have fun with your digital media, keep in touch with friends and tackle tasks with ease.

eMachines EL1352G-01w Desktop PC:

Key Features and Benefits:

AMD Sempron 145 processor
    2.8GHz, 1MB Total Cache

2GB DDR3 system memory
    Gives you the options for surfing, video conferencing, documents, basic photo editing and simple computer tasks

500GB SATA hard drive
    Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more

16X SuperMulti DVD burner
    Watch DVD movies on your EL1352G-01w computer; read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem or a wired broadband router with wired Ethernet

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE integrated graphics

Additional EL1352G-01w Features:

Multi-in-1 digital media card reader
    9 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x PS/2 ports, 1 x VGA port, 3 x audio jacks, 1 x headphone jack, 1 x microphone jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port
    1 x PCI Express x1 slot, 1 x PCI Express x16 slot; 1 x 3.5" bay, 1 x 5.25" bay
    High definition audio with 5.1 channel audio support and USB speakers

Software:

Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010
    Norton Internet Security 2010 (60-day trial)
    Nero 9 Essentials, WildTangent Game Zone
    eMachines Recovery Management

it *may* do, but here's my experience.

HD video will play much better if you have a stand alone video card. I believe (but may be wrong) that computer has what is known as *on board* graphics, which shares RAM with the motherboard.

I have 2 computers at the minute. Both have the same RAM and processor, but one has a video card with its own 1GB graphics memory, the other has an on-board (shared) card.

When playing video from my HD camera, it plays fine on the standalone PC, but jumps like crazy on my shared computer.

My advice would be to look at the options for a better video card.

At the very least, go for more RAM. 2GB just wont do for shared graphics of HD quality in my opinion.

EDIT: just saw the photoshop mention. DEFINATLY go for a better graphics card and about 4GB ram.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I agree with MrDarn....better card and more ram for better video

My wife's computer is similar to what you posted and it is weak with some video....but will not allow a ram upgrade or video card ...it is a small compact tower

If you can upgrade the video card and add memory that would be better
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

MrDarn and abseh1 have both given excellent advice and I would strongly recommend you follow it. Another point though would be, if you can afford it, is to stay away from e-machine products. Over the years we have come across many requests for help with regards to e-machines and can only conclude that the product has its problems. Most buy them because of their low prices, but the old expression 'you get what you pay for' is true in this case. If you're willing to purchase a new PC every year or two, then go for it.

Canuck, reminds me of a conversation i had with a car repair mechanic.

He argued that Ford and Vauxhall were very bad cars to buy, as he had them in the shop for repair so often. He recomended TVR as a car to buy, as he only seen one in his shop.

After some research, i found out Ford and Vauxhall sold 400,000 cars this year alone. TVR sold 429.

looking at statistics, if one in 429 TVR's go wrong, but 40 of the others do, which has the best percentage of cars that go wrong?

Then think about available spare parts. theres more chance of finding spares for a run of 400,000 cars than 429.

Personally, up till about 2 years ago, i advised to stay away from Acer and E-Machines. Now, i say go get them. I can easily find spares for them, problems are well documented, as are solutions, and i've had an Acer for 3 yrs now, and not had one bit of bother from it.

Popular things will always have a greater number of individual problems, due to human error and manufacturing faults. But percentage wise, i find they are about even, if not better for actual breakdowns.

Then again, build quality has to count for something. You do get what you pay for, but cheaper things are cheaper to fix!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Default thanks!

thanks MrDarn, I have another computer that I use for web surfing, email, PhotoShop, etc In other words, I like using this computer for everything else except videos. And it plays HD videos fine with no pixelization! It's a Dell all in one. But I don't want to buy another all in one simply because it doesn't have many options for upgrading.

here are the specs on that computer:

Processor
    Type Intel® Celeron®
    Intel Celeron Dual-Core
    Intel Pentium® Dual-Core
    Intel Core™2 Duo
    Intel Core2 Quad

Drives and Devices
    Drives one 3.5-inch internal
    hard-drive, one tray-load optical drive
    Wireless (optional) LAN 802.11 b/g
    Available devices serial ATA hard drive, DVD-ROM (optional), DVD+/- RW (optional), microphone array, and 8-in-1 Media Card Reader

Memory
    Connectors two internally-accessible DIMM sockets
    Capacities 1 GB and 2 GB
    Memory type dual channel 800 MHz DDR2
    Memory configurations possible 1 GB, 2 GB, 3 GB, and 4 GB

Computer Information
    System chipset Intel G41+ICH7
    Data bus width 64 bits
    Processor address

bus width
    32 bits
    BIOS chip (NVRAM) W25X80AVSSIG
    (8 Mb)
    Memory speed 800 MHz
    System bus frequency 800/1066/1333 MHz

External Connectors
    Network adapter RJ45 connector
    USB 2.0 three side-panel and three back-panel connectors
    Audio two side-panel connectors for microphone/line-in and headphone/line-out; one back-panel connector for line-out
    IEEE 1394a one side-panel 4-pin serial connector

Video
    Video type Intel X4500
    LCD interface Low-Voltage Differential Signaling (LVDS)

Audio
    Audio type Integrated speakers
    Power 2 W x 2

Display
    Type (active-matrix TFT) 18.5 inches, 16:9, WXGA
    Maximum resolution 1366 x 768
    Luminance 300 cd/m2
    Response time (typical) 5 ms
    Contrast ratio Min. 600; Typ. 1000
    Viewing angles 8° to 35°

Camera
    Pixel 1.3 megapixel
    Video resolution 1280 x 1024 at 8 fps
    160 x 120 ~ 640 x 480 at 30 fps
    Diagonal viewing angle 66°

Power
    Wattage 130 W
    Voltage 100-240 VAC
    Backup battery 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell

Physical
    Type Inspiron One 19 Inspiron One 19T
    Height 386.39 mm (15.21 inches) 385.90 mm (15.20 inches)
    Width 477.39 mm (18.79 inches) 476.90 mm (18.80 inches)
    Depth 103.98 mm (4.09 inches) 107.30 mm (4.20 inches)
    Weight (approximate) 7.3 kg (16.1 lb) 8.3 kg (18.3 lb)

Computer Environment
    Temperature range:
    Operating 10°C to 35°C
    (50°F to 95°F)
    Storage -40°C to 65°C
    (-40°F to 149°F)
    Relative humidity 10% to 90%
    (non-condensing)
    Maximum vibration (using a random-vibration spectrum that simulates user environment):
    Operating 0.26 GRMS random for
    2 min in all operational orientations
    Storage 2.2 GRMS random for
    15 mins
    Maximum shock (measured with hard drive in
    head-parked position and a 2-ms half-sine pulse):
    Operating Half-Sine Pulse: 40G for 2ms with a change in velocity of 20 in/s
    (51 cm/s)
    Storage Half-Sine Pulse: 40G for 22 ms with a change in velocity of 240 in/s
    (609 cm/s)
    Altitude (maximum):
    Operating -15.2 to 3048 m
    (-50 to 10,000 ft)
    Storage -15.2 to 10,668 m
    (-50 to 35,000 ft)
    Airborne contaminant level G2 or lower as defined by ISA-S71.04-1985

But thank you for your opinion, I never thought of getting a stand alone video card, that sounds like good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn View Post
    it *may* do, but here's my experience.

HD video will play much better if you have a stand alone video card. I believe (but may be wrong) that computer has what is known as *on board* graphics, which shares RAM with the motherboard.

I have 2 computers at the minute. Both have the same RAM and processor, but one has a video card with its own 1GB graphics memory, the other has an on-board (shared) card.

When playing video from my HD camera, it plays fine on the standalone PC, but jumps like crazy on my shared computer.

My advice would be to look at the options for a better video card.

At the very least, go for more RAM. 2GB just wont do for shared graphics of HD quality in my opinion.

EDIT: just saw the photoshop mention. DEFINATLY go for a better graphics card and about 4GB ram.

darn! I like the small size! Simply because I don't like lifting heavy computers....but you make a good point too! Maybe I should get a normal size tower instead...thanks! I think I'll keep shopping for a better model

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    I agree with MrDarn....better card and more ram for better video

My wife's computer is similar to what you posted and it is weak with some video....but will not allow a ram upgrade or video card ...it is a small compact tower

If you can upgrade the video card and add memory that would be better

thanks Canuck! I have an older emachines computer but I never liked it because it is noisy! It's just like sitting in a room with a noisy fan running all of the time!

yes, I have noticed many sales & low prices on emachines computers. You're right, many times you do get what you paid for! Thanks

what do you guys think of debranded computers? Give me your opinion on this one....
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

that makes sense!! Thanks!

I think the other guys have it covered with the graphics card! If you are just having trouble with HD videos on Youtube, where they are going to pixels, or having them turn green or one other solid color, there might be an easier solution. (I had a similar problem, and this worked for me.) Also make sure that all your flash players and whatnot are up to date : ) And if you fix it there, it might help with the other video issues. (Sorry, I'm not very hightech, and I hope this helps!)
    1) Right click on youtube video.
    2) Click Settings
    2) I get these tabs: Display, Privacy, Local Storage, Microphone and Camera.
    3) Under Display, I UNCHECKED the 'Enable hardware acceleration' tickbox.
    4) Refeshed and works fine now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Collegekid For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast