Default attached External 3.5 drive to access old information on 3.5 disks.

Hi and thanks for any help. I just attached a new external 3.5 inch disk drive to my Sony Windows XP laptop. Immediately the drive fired up but then I received a screen message that said I need to reformat the disk. If I reformat the disk it will erase the important data stored on it. What can I do to get the information off the disk without formatting it?

Blog Entries

If it was new ...what did you use to put data on it?
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    If it was new ...what did you use to put data on it?
    Hi abseh1...The 3.5 external disk drive is new but the loaded disk is from a few years ago. We moved and gave the desktop Windows 95 or 2000 away that had the 3.5 drive built into it. I need some information off the disk that I have been hauling around with me. Thanks!

Blog Entries

This is a common Windows issue it shows the drive as raw format for some reason

Linux programs do not have this issue...Knoppix will recover the data...then put the data on a NTFS hdd
    ================================================================
    There are many recovery software that you can use to recover the data from your hard drive.

For instance, you can use the Easy Recovery Pro which is a complete data recovery, file repair and disk diagnostic tool.

EasyRecovery FileRepair, is supplemented by diagnostic tools such as advanced disk Ontrack Data Advisor and recovery features for high-performance data....it is expensive and used by the pros (@ $400 +) but they allow a free trial use

Some are a trial use then pay

I have not used the application below...it claims to be free
    Free easy recovery software to recover lost files, free easyrecovery software download.

Here are a few recommended by H2G for free
    File Recovery: Recuva (free) * , TestDisk (free) , PC Inspector (free) , Unstoppable Copier (free)
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-14-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    This is a common Windows issue it shows the drive as raw format for some reason

Linux programs do not have this issue...Knoppix will recover the data...then put the data on a NTFS hdd
    ================================================================
    There are many recovery software that you can use to recover the data from your hard drive.

For instance, you can use the Easy Recovery Pro which is a complete data recovery, file repair and disk diagnostic tool.

EasyRecovery FileRepair, is supplemented by diagnostic tools such as advanced disk Ontrack Data Advisor and recovery features for high-performance data....it is expensive and used by the pros (@ $400 +) but they allow a free trial use

Some are a trial use then pay

I have not used the application below...it claims to be free
    Free easy recovery software to recover lost files, free easyrecovery software download.

Evening , thanks for the quick response. I will take a look at all the info you have supplied. I might need a second person on this project, maybe a little more knowledgeable. LOL

Here are a few recommended by H2G for free
    File Recovery: Recuva (free) * , TestDisk (free) , PC Inspector (free) , Unstoppable Copier (free)