Blog Entries

Default Adobe Flash Player

All of a sudden I have developed problems with Adobe Flash Player. I have followed the advice from the Adobe site and downloaded and run the uninstaller but I can't get the flash player to reinstall. I also object to having to download Google Chrome as part of the package. I have looked for other flash players as an alternative without success. Any advice appreciated.
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

As far as i am aware, you can choose to download the version that does not include chrome, or untick a box during instalation.

i have the latest flash player and do not have chrome.

as for the uninstaller, did you reboot after uninstalling? i've found that helps.

Let us know

Make sure you are getting the download from the correct link:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks MrDarn. No I didn't reboot after uninstalling Adobe Flash Player. Thanks for the link, I have successfully reinstalled the software but got Chrome with it with no choice offered as far as I could see. The player works OK but with a couple of seconds buffering brfore the video starts. I can live with that. Before I read your reply I also made the near fatal mistake of starting to restore from a backup I made a couple of weeks ago to see if that would get things back on track. After nearly three hours I got fed up and interrupted the restore process. Ouch, ouch! What a mistake to make!! Fortunately after years of cocking things up I was able to retrieve the situation. When we we ever learn not to meddle> Thanks again for your help.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

I have successfully reinstalled the software but got Chrome with it with no choice offered as far as I could see.
    There is definitely an option to opt-out of Chrome, but sadly, I forget where it is. It is important to ALWAYS use the custom install options, especially on free programs - even good ones - or they will try to foist unwanted stuff on us. I accept they need to feed their families and put a roof over their heads too, I just wish opt-out was ALWAYS the default.

It should be easy to uninstall Chrome either through the Start menu folder or from Control Panel > Programs and Features. However, even if you never use an alternative browser, it is some times nice to have one handy in case you are having problems with a website. Then you can try another browser for testing. I use IE9 on all my machines but have Chrome or FF installed too just for such testing purposes.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Cheers Digerati. I have kept Chrome and imported my Roboform passcards and Favourites in from IE.I also have FF as well as IE as sometimes it's useful to swap browsers. Thanks for the advice.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge