Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Duplicate Folders/Files in Windows 7 Libraries-How to correct w/out deleting/losing?

I have 27 duplicated folders and files in 5 different locations, and can't figure out how to organize (or remove duplicates), without deleting or losing the folders/files, in all 5 locations. (I have screen shots, if needed), but the 5 locations are: 1- Libraries>Documents>Documents>'MyDocuments';
    2-Libraries>Documents>Downloads>'MyDocuments'; (1 and 2 have exactly the same contents, in same order- reverse alphabetically). 3- scottt331>Downloads>'MyDocum
    ents'; 4- scottt331>'MyDocuments'; (3 and 4 have exactly same contents, as 1 and 2, except listed alphabetically). 5- Computer>LocalDisk-c:>Users>'Public'>Documents>
    'MyDocuments'. (Under 'Users', both 'scottt331'(3 and 4), and 'public' also have same exact contents-alphabetically- as do, 1 and 2.
    Currently, my Libraries(6), are as follows: Documents, Music, My Documents, Pictures, Videos, Windows Sidebar. (I realize (the above) may seem confusing without screen shots. Thus, I have screen shots of each, to provide if needed. Please just let me know).

PC Specs: Dell Inspiron 531s (desktop), 2 GB RAM, 32-bit, cable modem, total hard drive space on 'C:' = 153 GB (with 96.7 GB free). (2GB RAM) with 1.10GB available.
    Available virtual memory= 2.61GB, and Page file space= 1.94GB. OS= Windows 7, Home-Premium. (please let me know if more specs are needed).

Anyone familiar with W-7 libraries, I could use some help. Also, are "public" user files needed (duplicates), as I'm the only one using this PC? No network.
    Thanks, scottt331.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to scottt331 For This Useful Post:

Hi scottt331,

Win7 Libraries are confusing, aren't they? I'm new to Win7 myself and haven't taken the time to really learn about the Libraries or why they were created when Win7 was introduced.

If you only use the "scottt331" acct. the folders in C:\Users\User or C:\Users\Public should all be empty. Only the C:\Users\scottt331 folders should include files.

Go to Start > Computer > C: Drive > Users > and and click on the other folders. As I said, they should be empty.

I'll provide some links for you to read about (and cross reference) Win7 Libraries till one of the other members who are more experienced with Win7 responds:

Libraries: frequently asked questions

Windows 7 Libraries: Frequently Asked Questions

Inside Windows 7: Introducing Libraries

Understanding Windows 7 Libraries

Organizing with Windows 7 Libraries

Hope this helps even if a little bit.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Donna has given good info on understanding the libraries

There is a free tool that will be helpful with duplicates...including photos and images too

Duplicate File Cleaner : Duplicate Cleaner (free)

Duplicate Cleaner - Find Duplicate Files
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Thanks Donna B. and abseh1 (for both posts): Follow-Up...

Thanks for both posts. 1- Donna B.- You may find this ironic, but I have indeed scoured the microsoft site, and did indeed find and print out these articles, already. (They are, I'm sure good; just somewhat voluminous, but maybe I'm looking for too quick of a fix...). I have also printed similar articles from the lifehacker website. I have begun reading both (but is slow-going). Also, regarding the files you mentioned:
    "If you only use the "scottt331" acct. the folders in C:\Users\User or C:\Users\Public should all be empty. Only the C:\Users\scottt331 folders should include files. Go to Start > Computer > C: Drive > Users > and and click on the other folders. As I said, they should be empty".
    I do only use the one account (though I am currently typing a reply from my laptop, I will go and check my PC tonight, as instructed)...and when I did check this on my PC yesterday, there were indeed folders and files under, "C:\Users\Public", which were 'identical' to the ones under, "C:\Users\scottt331". I will definitely do as you instructed, and recheck these tonight and see if they are empty. (Yesterday, before posting; I tried to solve this on my own, and after creating a restore point, just "deleted the entire folder, "Public" (user). But the result was that the files/folders under 'documents', were also apparently deleted from "scottt331", as when I went to check them, it said (doesn't exist). (So I restored). But, I'll check the above, confirm and re-post the findings.
    2- abseh1- Thanks for the recommended "duplicate file finder program". I actually began to try this route with a program I have called "System Mechanic Pro" (which has a duplicate finder), and sure enough the "C:\Users\Public" files and folders were listed, which were exactly the same as "C:\Users\scottt331", but only under the subtitle, "documents". Is it ok to delete these (former) files, or are they necessary for some reason? Also, would you recommend the program you mentioned (as better than the one I tried)?. Lastly, I saw on the web a program called, "W7 Library Tool" (just google). Would you recommend this, or is it irrelevant? Thanks, scottt331.
    Last edited by scottt331; 05-01-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Blog Entries

scottt331

Duplicate File Cleaner is a H2Go recommended software application
    I am not familiar with the other programs

I see no need to keep public folder files, unless you share a lot of files...but if you have the space it should not be an issue
    It is mainly used if you share files
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-Public-folder

Just be sure to send stuff to your profile in your case it appears to be scottt331

No need to delete any folder just the contents...be careful that you do not delete something you may need

Windows File Protection (WFP) will not let you delete an OS folder anyway
    However , it will allow you to delete folder content

Windows File Protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-02-2012 at 11:28 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The Public folder contains no files until you or other people using your computer add files to it. The Public folder contains several subfolders to help you organize the files you are sharing. Most of these folders are organized by content type, and include:
    • Public Documents
    • Public Downloads
    • Public Music
    • Public Pictures
    • Public Videos

I hope that is helpful...abs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Update and Reply to Donna B. and abseh1's prior and recent posts:

Hi. Thanks for the additional posts abseh1. That article on public folders, I will indeed read, as I clearly don't have a good grasp of their usage. Also, I checked out the duplicate file remover you recommended. And it does seem really good, as if you purchase the pro version, it will actually remove "entire folders" (like the 'public folders'), hopefully while backing-up the files-which I believe it said it does. But will read more before proceeding of course.
    To both: I did go up to the office and checked out my PC (which has the issue). (Again, I have screen shots if needed). Abs, like you stated; my 'Public' folders,
    do include those 5 folders (in addition to, 'Recorded TV'). And, I checked all six to see if they were empty. The bottom 4 were empty (Recorded TV, Public videos,
    public pictures, and public music). However, here's where some of the problem may be (at least in regards to these): The "Computer>LocalDisk(c:)>Users>'Public'>'Documents' AND the (same) except last is, "Public Downloads", both do indeed contain files and folders. The latter, only contains a folder with Norton installation files. However the problem, lies with the "Documents" folder. As not only does it contain 28 files and 4 folders; 1 of the 4 folders, naturally is,
    "MyDocuments" (again). And once again, all "27" of the (initial post mentioned) files and folders, are here as well (alphabetically). Well, I think this information, is the same as the info. in "5", in my initial post. There are 16 folders and 11 files.
    Abs, I see where you say these public folders are empty until someone fills them; so it must then have been me (only user), somehow. But, I don't share files or folders, so not intended. Tomorrow, I will definitely download and run the duplicate file remover you recommended, and post the results. Thanks for your advice. scottt331.

Blog Entries

Disclaimer: You mentioned work...we do not give advice to work computers...Even if you are the owner , you need to contact your IT section or they will not be happy campers
    ===========================================
    Your welcome ...I just jumped on to the Donna band wagon....she gave good info ....good luck...abs
    ==========================================================================
    Workgroups or more specifically in Win7 Home Group folders being checked allow sharing and control sharing permissions

You need to go to change home group settings
    In win7...
    "type" in search box> Public Folder> then click "choose homegroup and sharing options" ...if you do not share uncheck all the boxes

You control individual files in public folders via Permissions> right click a file>properties>security or advanced
    (allowing all changes requires being an Admin or being a file owner)

Permissions on objects can be modified or viewed by using the access control user interface.

Set, View, Change, or Remove Permissions on Files and Folders
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-02-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added text @ 9:37

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Permissions and security descriptors

Every container and object on the network has a set of access control information attached to it. Known as a security descriptor, this information controls the type of access allowed to users and groups. The security descriptor is automatically created along with the container or object that is created. A typical example of an object with a security descriptor is a file.
    Permissions are defined within an object's security descriptor. Permissions are associated with, or assigned to, specific users and groups. For example, for the file Temp.dat, the built-in Administrators group might be assigned Read, Write, and Delete permissions, while the Backup Operators group might be assigned Read and Write permissions only.
    Each assignment of permissions to a user or group is represented in the system as an access control entry (ACE). The entire set of permission entries in a security descriptor is known as a permission set or access control list (ACL). Thus, for a file named Temp.dat, the permission set includes two permission entries, one for the built-in Administrators group and one for the Backup Operators group.
    To plagiarize another member ...clear as mud..huh
    No need to understand...just info over load

BTW: File Permissions are used on the Help2Go website...when info is loaded on the server...they allow users to view files and use files by setting the permissions before they upload them to the server
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-02-2012 at 09:37 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Reply to abseh1's recent (2) posts and explanation @ "Work", etc...(8:55AM post)

Abs: I did say head up to the office to look at my PC (not there currently); but it's not "for work" in the traditional sense. It just happens to be located where I work. (As I work for myself, not in a company environment, etc.). No IT department, and no departments of any kind. My job does not involve the computer, per se. But that is where my PC is located as I do send emails (to friend's etc.), while at work, and write letters, surf web, etc. I don't share folders, and don't even know how (to be honest). No one else has ever used my PC. (This is definitely not a "work-related" computer case). Nowadays everyone seems to have a pc, laptop or smartphone..
    "Disclaimer: You mentioned work...we do not give advice to work computers...Even if you are the owner , you need to contact your IT section or they will not be happy campers".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast