Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry deleted dell recovery partition now i cant reinstall my computer to factory

i have a dell dimension e310 xp media edition 2005...i was using it to install windows xp home onto a hard drive for a friend...that means i disconnected my hard drive and installed his well the cd was scratched and i had to reformat the hard drive a few times it was driving me nuts so i took a break and hook my hard drive back up and played some games on the internet. after awhile i went to try and reinstall xp on my friend hard drive and my friend came over and distracted me for a bit and i was talking to him while i was deleting partitions off my friends hard drive when i noticed that i didnt unhook my hard drive and i was deleting my partitions. i tryed to boot from my hd but no way ...i shut it down pressed ctrl +f11 and got nothing but no boot device found messages. i got my friends hd working and used it to download a free partition app and did a lot of web surfing. i managed to get my hd working and i am thankful for that but i cant get the recovery to work now by pressing ctrl f11 and my partitions are showing up in my computer as drives c , f and g ive tryed everything i can think of other than downloading a iso image of xp media center 2005 and running that but would that even fix the recovery partition so that i can use it again ? i believe all the files are still on my hard drive still so can u help me fix the restore partition so that it works again and hide the partitions so they dont show up in my computer as disk? thx for any help...

Ooo. Ouch!

Hi pckiller,

Welcome to Help2Go!

If I'm not mistaken whenever you alter the 2 partitions on a Dell that will automatically (as you found out) stop the restore keys Ctrl + F11 from working.

To get the Restore Keys back the main C:\ Partition must be returned to it's original size. Not sure if that will bring the recovery partition back though. It may! Under normal circumstances I would go out of my way to experiment to find out for sure before I verified this and I don't think I want to try that at this time since I do not have the disks to my Dell either.

The following link may have some information that could help you:

Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

Another thing you could do though is to keep the single partition and use a quality imaging program like Macrium Reflect (which is free), Acronis (free trial version) or Image for Windows ( free trial) to create an image of your system once it is set up properly.

Macrium Reflect is completely free. Truthfully, I am not familiar with any of these but was introduced to Macrium recently when my HD crashed.

One of the other members may have more experience with cloning/imaging so please stay tuned.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Here's a link that may be very useful!!! Might cost a few bucks, but well worth it if you don't already have the disks.

Dell - Request Backup Disks

If you properly set your system up and use an imaging software as mentioned above you will not be burdened with all the factory "crapware" that comes with the factory restore disks.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

thanks donna for the quick reply ...i hear what your saying about the partition size being exactly what it was but i dont have a 160 gb sata samsung hd with xp on it to compare it to ...i did manage to hide the partitions so that they dont show up in my computer ..ill check out the link u posted and see if it helps ??? if i havent been there already lol click click surfing is fun just gotta watch out for the free trial sharks...yes i still have a problem who can step up to the challenge ??

oh and there are 3 partitions on the drive a fat a fat32 and the ntfs and from what i read there is a hidden one also so thats 4 and i heard that when u press ctrl ff11 when the pc is off restarting it creates a 5th partition that makes it active until you load windows.

Blog Entries

Disregard my post below...I did not see Donna was coming to the rescue
    =========================================
    How did you plan on having WinXP load on his computer?
    You need to use the WinXP on his computer
    You can try a repair install of WinXP...if it works you will save your programs and data
    But if you deleted the partitions it will not show an OS

Just put the WinXP DVD in a boot
    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    There are third party software programs like acronis that can repair partitions but why do it?
    Plus they are not free
    (if the HDD fails so goes the recovery)
    It is best to backup to a separate media

You have lost the partitions it seems....maybe , another member has a better idea?
    Then you are left with a clean install and all your programs and data must be installed again
    Slave your HDD and recover your data

Then Clean Install WinXP....run Windows updates and install an antivirus program too

Backup your data on a different media

You will need your license and a working WinXP DVD to do a clean install
    Install Windows XP

XP Clean Install
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hey abs, I was hoping you'd jump in. I've seen you work miracles with XP.

i have my partitions back in order and all the files are there in each partition but ctrl f11 is still not working how can i restore ctrl f11 so that i can do a factory install? im looking for a simple answer or eazy step by step guide

Blog Entries

Not sure how you fixed or setup the partitions?

Did you buy the dell disks....just load them in order and boot....no CTrl F11 required
    (that is only when the partition had the recovery partition)

You need to use the recovery cd now

You will keep the cd's and use them instead of the partition

The Dell Dimension Recovery CDs are also sometimes referred to as Dell Dimension Windows XP installation CDs because they completely erase the contents of your hard drive & then re-install your operating system (Windows).

However, they differ from normal Windows XP installation disks in that they usually restore all programs which were originally installed on the hard drive when the computer was first purchased
    (any additional programs or files which were not originally installed will be overwritten).
    Be sure to install an anti-virus program and run Windows Updates....they will require several reboots and there will be many
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-18-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

That's good to hear! Please do the following so we can see what we are working with here:

Go to Start then to Run
    Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
    On left side click on Disk Management
    On right side you will see you hard drive.
    Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please click on the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
    Now go to Start and then to All Programs
    Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
    In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
    Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
    Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
    Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next post. If you are unable to attach, you could upload to PhotoBucket, etc. and post the link img.

Also, you may be able to access the Dell Factory Image partition by following the instructions here.

Either way, please post the image and also let us know if you are able to access the Factory Image from the instructions in the link. This will help many if you have success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast