Default Facebook problem

For about a week now, on Facebook MOST of the time, if I try to look at a profile, including my own, I not only get kicked off the site, but right off my internet connection. The browser window just closes and that's that. Every other site I use is working fine. Once in a while Facebook allows me to view one profile, if I try a second one, I'm done. I can view my messages, the pages that I'm a member of, just not profiles. I've tried logging out and back in. I've tried restoring my computer to a date before this started happening. Around the same time this started (not sure it's connected) I was on a facebook group page and clicked on a link and the computer frooze up. I couldn't red X out or even minimize the window. I ended up restarting the computer, then it seemed fine, so didn't give it another thought. Like I said, I'm not even sure it's connected. Any advice would be appreciated.

Check the simple stuff first:

make sure your clock is set right. (sometimes even an AM PM switch can cause browser confusion) Check the date too.

which browser are you using? Try the same browser using its 'safe mode'

Make sure windows is up to date.

Let us know if you need any help with any of the above.

Once we've tried this, we may need to consider a malware issue. which Antivirus do you use? do you have an anti-malware application? (Malwarebytes, spybot search and destroy etc)
    Run those scans and let us know if it finds anything.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Is it a wireless or cable connection?
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

OK...I should have mentioned that I'm sort of (OK~very) computer illiterate. I have Hugh's net, so it's a satlelight connection. Browser? Windows Vista. Is that the right answer? I do have the secure connection to facebook, it won't let me play games unless I switch, but I won't. I do have some window updates to install, but it seems like every time we install an update, we end up restoring to a previous date because the update either slows everything down or just messes up. Again, facebook is the only site I'm having a problem with. That in itself confuses me. If my computer has a virus or malware...wouldn't it effect every site? I'm just asking, as I've said, I know very little about computers.

Blog Entries

Do you mean a Facebook update or a Windows Update?
    If you do not have all Windows Critical updates....there is no fix until you have all the Critical Windows updates installed

You should have Windows updates on auto

Microsoft Update

Windows Update - Keep your PC up to date - Microsoft Windows

Thanks for getting back to us.

Its always hard to tell what computing level people are at when they post for help. This is why i always ask if you need further instructions.

If you want to skip the techy stuff and get into the instructions for a possible fix, scroll down till you see another line like this:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just ask our own DonnaB! 2 years ago she did not know how to cut and paste, now she's one of our top tech advisors!!

Reading between the lines, i think your problem is either a simple time and date correction or malware (virus) related.

I'm not at a level where i can advise on Malware or viruses, but i can help with the time/date.

First, lets clear up a few technical terms, so we both know what we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    OK...I should have mentioned that I'm sort of (OK~very) computer illiterate.
    Not to worry, now we know we can tailor our responces to assist the beginner. (we sometimes get some people who get offended if we go into detail straight away, saying they are not thick!)
    Browser? Windows Vista. Is that the right answer?
    Close, but no cigar!
    Windows Vista is your Operating system. This is the main program that runs when you start your computer, and acts like a springboard for all other programs you wish to use, such as Microsoft Word, a web browser, media players ETC. (if you have any questions on anything like this, you can use the Community Discussion Forum . ) The web browser i was refering too is the program you open to browse the internet. Internet Explorer is the one shipped with windows based computers, but you can also use other browsers like Firefox, Google Chrome (made by the people who bring you the Google Search engine, a completely different thing!) and Opera to name but a few. Having this information will help us later if we need to try some things with the browser settings which may have been changed.
    I do have the secure connection to facebook, it won't let me play games unless I switch, but I won't.
    never a bad idea to use a secure connection where possible When using a secure connection however, extra criteria must be met, like security certificates. Now, whilst the actual purpose of a security certificate is irrelevant at this point, having the time or date wrong on your PC may throw up an error, causing the symptoms you describe.
    I do have some window updates to install, but it seems like every time we install an update, we end up restoring to a previous date because the update either slows everything down or just messes up.
    Again, this windows update problem can be caused by the date or time being incorrect.
    Again, facebook is the only site I'm having a problem with. That in itself confuses me. If my computer has a virus or malware...wouldn't it effect every site? I'm just asking, as I've said, I know very little about computers.
    Please feel free to ask anything you like This is after all your computer, and you should understand why we are advising what we do, and what impact it will have. Viruses and malware are usually targeted. some only affect one website, others only one type of browser.

Are the other websites you visit also secure sites? (with the HTTPS: prefix as apposed to HTTP: )

I also asked which Antivirus you have. Popular ones are AVG, Norton, Avast... Knowing this will help me advise on scans etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now for instructions.

I believe you have Windows Vista.

To check the date/time on vista, and correct it if necessary, you need to either have an administrator account, or the password for the main users profile.

In the bottom right, you should see a clock.
    Right-click the clock and options will appear.

Select "Adjust date and time"
    A window should pop up for the wndows security center asking if you started this action. Select "Continue"
    In the pop up window, select "Change date and time"
    Confirm the date and time are as correct as possible (to within 5 mins of the actual time is close enough, although the closer the better) and double check the date is 2012! (an easy mistake to make!!!)
    Click "OK"
    In the "Time Zone" section, ensure this is set to your local area, including any adjustment for daylight saving.
    Click "OK"
    restart the computer.now try windows update again, and let us know how you get on.

As always, if you need anything clarified, feel free to ask! The only stupid question is the one left unasked!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

I click on internet explorer to open a page, google IS my homepage, and I know my husband updated to google chrom not long ago. We have norton anti virus and the date/time I checked and it's accurate. As I said before, the reason I don't alway do the windows updates (and the reason they are no longer on automatic) is every time we do an update, or at least almost every time, we end up having to do a restore to a time before the update to make the computer work well. Updates almost always slow it way down, or mess up something. I don't know why. I don't believe I can do an update wrong as it pretty much just amounts to clicking OK, or something of that effect. Face book is still the only site I'm having problems with...and just now I checked a few of my "favorites" and most of them, including this site is just "http" not "https" how do I change that? I really appreciate everyone's help on this. Sorry I'm so "challenging" Just trying to figure this out so I can enjoy face book more. Also, sorry about the delay in response. Here in Michigan the weather is getting nice and I've been spending most free time outside, less on computer.

Blog Entries

As I said before, the reason I don't alway do the windows updates (and the reason they are no longer on automatic) is every time we do an update, or at least almost every time, we end up having to do a restore to a time before the update to make the computer work well. Updates almost always slow it way down, or mess up something. I don't know why.
    You need to try again to do the Vista Windows updates and let us know the errors...you only need the critical updates....we need the errors if any

Your computer is full of security holes and Facebook is a program that can be loaded with malware

Run the applications in my signature below....with out Windows and the antiviruse up to date we can not fix anything

Any questions...just ask

Well, in my experience there are only 2 common reasons for what you describe, one is the time being wrong, the other is a virus/malware problem.

Since the time thing has not really yealded any results, its looking like option 2.

Please click the following link and follow the instructions.

Possible Malware or virus help(click here)
    please also mention you have posted in this forum too, as the helper may want to go over what we have done so far.

I'm in the UK, so if we even see the sun for a few moments we break out the bucket and spades!!

Take your time with the link provided, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7