Default Most Common Useless programs that run on startup?

I have 3 Windows XP Pro PCs that are running a POS program. One of them will also run MS Word and MS Excel. I need to stop all processes and services that are unnecessary for speed's sake. Do you have a list of the most common useless programs that are generally written into XP Pro?

Thanks!
    Dedi
    Dedi

Blog Entries

This guy (Black Viper) is either admired or controversial

For example he is against using msconf...and recommends controlling startups via the services
    (he gives a logical explanation too)

Either way he knows computers

Below is his info on running services for Win XP and creates different profiles for different uses
    (For example, if you are a gamer you can create a fast stripped down profile and another for a normal user profile on the same computer)
    Black Viper’s Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com

More start up speed from Black Viper on start up speeds (without using msconfig)
    Black Viper’s Windows XP Super Tweaks | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

BTW: Viper does turn off system restore a real resource user...I suggest leaving system restore alone for most end-users
    It speeds thinks up but if you need to go back and make a system restore you are a cooked duck..if it is turned off

That is part of the Black Viper controversy

Some say adjusting some services do not add much speed...some say "some" services that are not needed are a cause for slow downs

I think that most users should leave system restore on...you can always reduce the space that system restore a lots

I believe the default is about 12% of the HDD
    Todays HDD's are big ...if you have a small HDD that needs to be considered..some WinXP HDD are small
    (usually uses 10%+ of a HDD...often too much...minimum 250mb probably too small...maybe 500mb is OK for most users)

All this stuff is based on your experience level

Final Note: processes and services are not the same thing...be careful with shutting off processes ...sometimes viruses show up in processes too...then you need to deal with it as a separate issue
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-12-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added text

4. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for the info! I'll check out his stuff and see what he's got going on. As for system restore, my Point of Sale gets backed up nightly to cd and my XP is easily reloaded. Since they don't go online and no other programs get added, I'm not too worried about restore.

Thanks again, abseh1 ~ that sounds like just the guy I need for what I'm looking for
    Dedi

Blog Entries

My Pleasure...you will definitely see a improvement without System Restore in your case....it is just not for everyone...good luck...abs
    (obviously the computer does not need to run in the background duplicating the OS and programs and files...System Restore by design is redundant)

I suggest creating profiles as Viper suggests....a faster profile with less services running

Be sure you confirm the service is for WinXP Pro in your case....usually WinXP Home services are the same in both....but, not always
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Dedi

I personally think it is common sense, like Black Viper....it you do not need a service in WinXP...why leave it running in the background taking-up resources

All of this is for WIN XP only....Win7 users should leave the Services alone
    =======================================================
    Dedi, one final thought....you may want to look @ Win7 soon
    I am a fan of WinXP it was a great OS...my two favorites were Win98SE and WinXP Pro...now I am a Win7 fan

(Win7 is not your Father's Buick....it has come a long way)

Most newer computers are multi core and much faster and come with Win 7 installed
    In your case, you will appreciate Win7 more than most...they are relatively cheap too

Saying that, I would not suggest in your case upgrading the same older computers...I would go new

Good luck ....abs

Edit: See how easily I can spend other peoples $$$ money
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-12-2012 at 10:15 AM.