Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HDMI cable - what a mess of a picture !!!

I have always intended to use an HDMI cable, used the dvi until just this morning when I thought, "Nah, I'll have a crack at the hdmi" and so I did. My monitor is a 20" Samsung 2032mw, cpu an i5 2500k, 8gb 1600 ddr3, ands lots of HDD space.
    Anyways, plugged it into my new MSI Radeon 6850, and...well, it booted when I switched to hdmi on the screen, but the resolution was appalling. it read that it was 1920 x 1080, but this monitor only goes to 1650 x 1050 the icons down the side were half off the screen, far from being sharp, the fonts were almost blurred. Also, bordered in black the picture was.
    An awful mess.
    I'd have thought the monitor would have adjusted of it's own accord.
    It DIDN'T
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

This seems to happen @ times with your monitor
    • Dessimat0r says:
      July 17, 2010 at 2:40 am
      I believe it was a problem with the port or the internal HDMI processing chip; I think a dodgy cable caused a short circuit.
    HDMI troubles on Samsung Syncmaster 2032MW | 20LcdMonitor.org

I would start with going to the video card and monitor driver support and make sure you have the latest drivers
    (some are HDMI specific)

Be sure to create a System Restore point...Win7 normally will automatically....but just to be safe

In your case make sure it is MSI specific
    MSI Global ? Graphics Card - R6850-PM2D1GD5/OC

Worst case scenario is to return to DVI....I doubt the human eye could tell a difference anyway
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    This seems to happen @ times with your monitor
    Worst case scenario is to return to DVI....I doubt the human eye could tell a difference anyway
    Thanks for the help - I'll give it another try.
    Wasn't aware there was issues with the Samsung, mind.
    Intend to get a new monitor in due course, (an IPS) but no rush
    If it must be dvi, so be it.

Wow. Opened the driver package of most recent - (odd how the number system is so confusing) and I got a BSOD within SECONDS.
    Needless to say that was deleted on reboot.

just a quick 2 cents:

sometimes there is a button on monitors that act like a refresh. (mine is labelled "auto") if i have a problem with my hdmi, pressing this for 3 seconds resets it and lets it choose the best settings for the current display.

I found mine used to set to the basic graphics setting during startup, then forget to re-check.
    A driver update solved it in the end, but it fixed it for the meantime.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

There is no difference to tell. The digital video signal transmitted via HDMI is EXACTLY the same as used in DVI. NO DIFFERENCE is quality, strength, protocols or anything else.

The difference between HDMI and DVI is simply that HDMI also supports 6-channel (5.1) audio, and a control signal used by the various hardware devices to automatically switch modes in the same, smaller connector. However, most computer users do not use monitors with integrated speakers, so HDMI does not really fit in the computer world as easily as many would like. In fact, it was created for the Home Theater entertainment hardware industry and it is only migrating into the computer world because the big monitor makers (who happen to be the big TV makers too) do not want to support two video transmission methods with two sets of input/output connectors.

But sadly, HDMI is being VERY POORLY implemented into the computer world - as your problems (and you are not the only one experiencing them) clearly demonstrate.

So it should be noted that switching back to DVI from HDMI is NOT a downgrade. Your graphics performance and quality will NOT be affected, degraded, or impacted in any way.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

HDMI cables actually have firmware and firmware updates....usually done remotely by your Television Service

There are older 3. and 4. versions of cables but as mentioned... this does not usually affect the average computer...unless you are in the super computer business...HDMI are backward compatible anyway

Audio being the key word as mentioned by Digertati

HDMI cables actually have firmware and firmware updates....usually done remotely by your Television Service
    Ummm, sorry, but no they don't. There are no "intelligent" or "programmable" parts inside an HDMI cable. It is just wires, shielding, connectors and pins - no ICs, no transistors, no memory devices. The interfaces/controllers on our motherboards and graphics cards certainly do have intelligent circuits, however, that may indeed require updating, but not HDMI cables, connectors, or adapters.

Audio being the key word as mentioned by Digertati
    Actually, I think "control signal" is really the key word, or words here when talking HDMI - unless talking cable management and cable clutter - then replacing 6 sets of speaker cables and the video cable with one HDMI cable is certainly an attractive idea. But again, HDMI was created, designed and intended for the Home Theater world - not PCs. There are some compromises - some not so nice.

For the record, I like HDMI very much - when it works right - because one HDMI cable eliminates so many other cables without degrading quality. But HDMI still has some bugs that V1.3 was supposed to fix. Hurry up and wait for 1.4.

Actually, audio over HDMI on a computer can be a real pain. To get the audio routed through the HDMI cable, the graphics solution must support "pass-through" audio, or the graphics solution must have an integrated sound card. Either can be confusing to configure. Also, even the best speakers integrated into the the best monitors deliver low fidelity audio - compared to 1/2 way decent or better set of computer speakers. Great for Windows sounds, but not so much for music or movie soundtracks. If you want to feed a set of external computer speakers, you have then run speaker wires from the monitor (assuming it supports audio out!) to your speakers. Hardly makes using HDMI worthwhile if you still need to run more cables - at least IMO.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Switching back to DVI should solve the issue
    ============================
    Not to get on a a issue different from the thread and hijack Phil K's thread...
    Phil K probably cares less, and just wants a great picture on his monitor

I will stand corrected ref HDMI...it is just a cable...the media firmware affects the HDMI

Info on HDMI firmware comes from my friend a Honeywell Engineer
    I misunderstood him when he stated firmware can affect an HDMI cable...he did not mean directly

After speaking with him he stated the firmware updates are done to the media and can cause older HDMI wired cables to be no higher than 720P...regardless of firmware

He said some older HDMI were wired for 720P and could not service 1080p...again, most could not tell the visual difference

HDMI being digital is either on or off...as oppose to a fading analogue single

Since most Satellites only transmit in 1080i and 720p... as of today there are none transmitting 1080P (to my knowledge)

You will only see 1080P with a Blue Ray (type) DVD player anyway...some DVD's are created in 1080p

Some HDMI cables are wired differently but they are just cables....my bad

Digerati's point is well taken...tks
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-14-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Digerati

Thanks...I miss arraknid...he usually kept me straight
    ==================================
    Phil K ...sorry, I did not want to hijack your thread and go off into television land...if you still need something ...let us know...abs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast