Blog Entries

Default Adobe Flash Player

As most of the good people on H2G will know I have been having a LOT of trouble with AFP. The saga continues and I am now totally fed up and disillusioned with this product. To my certain knowledge I have uninstalled and reinstalled this program at least 18 times. I have taken advice from the various forums on the web and have meticulously followed the instructions on the Adobe web site as to amending the settings on IE9 to accommodate the program. HELP! Is there any other program I can use to view videos etc. Alternatively, does anyone know the correct way to install AFP? Thanks.
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Would it be correct to assume that everything works in Firefox?

Is that a 64 Bit operating system?

In the Internet Explorer browser (9) you're getting the prompt to install Adobe Flash when attempting to view videos such as UTube, is that correct?

Tell us other things you have tried or attempted to do in trying to resolve this issue......

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 05-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Blog Entries

You must have your Browser closed
    (Download the file to your desktop...you can delete it afterwards)

64bit and 32bit are different

Please note, depending on your settings, you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software.

How to Download & Install Adobe Flash Player - YouTube
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Thank you gentlemen. I have removed AFP from my laptop and, using Control Panel, I have re-assigned all this type of file handling to Real Player which is working perfectly at the moment. I really appreciate your advice but until things go wrong again I will stick with this solution. I really have done everything I can think of or that I have been advised to do. Yes I do get reminders on Youtube and I get the same problem on Firefox. Sometimes it works then it stops. I have downloaded the exe file and run it with the browser closed. I have followed the advice on the Adobe website regarding disabling various parts of IE through IE/Tools/Internet Options/Security etc. I have (apparently) installed AFP 11 a number of times but the problem reccurs. I will follow the link above (How to Download & Install Adobe Flash Player - YouTube) and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Hi RDL,

The following link may come in handy somewhere along the way, too! Not sure if you tried the uninstaller or not.

Uninstalling Adobe Flash Player Debugger
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

The saga continues and I am now totally fed up and disillusioned with this product.
    Well, that club is a good 10 years old, but new members are always welcomed anyway.

I'm with Donna on this. Try to run the uninstaller to [hopefully] completely remove all traces of Flash. Then reboot to reset any counters or settings, then try Flash again. Note that RealPlayer is not a full replacement.

As for the changes you made to IE, I would undo them. And since many problems with IE9 can be traced back to wayward or conflicting add-ons, to kill two birds (undoing changes and eliminating misbehaving add-ons), I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

My thanks Digerati. If you're sitting comfortably I'll continue. I took Abseh1's advice (How to Download & Install Adobe Flash Player - YouTube) only to find I could not watch the vid on Youtube . I have used the uninstaller a number of times and when I followed Lady Donna's thread (Uninstalling Adobe Flash Player Debugger) I could not find the flash.ocx file referred to so I drew a blank there (thanks anyway Donna). Eventually I downloaded and saved (again!) the AFP installation file for 64 bit, closed all browsers, went into MSCONFIG and turned off all startup applications and re-booted. I then re-installed AFP and allowed Chrome to be installed as well. The end result is that I am now able to watch Youtube on Chrome but IE9 gives me the usual error message. Hey ho, it's some sort of solution I suppose. I'll keep working. Watch this space.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge