Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry CD-ROM/s not detected / recognized --- HELP!?!

MS Windows XP Home SP3
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHZ, 1.2GB RAM, 40GBHDD

Have checked troubleshooting options to no avail. Power is being supplied to the optical drive/s but nothing is playing, being prompted (etc)

PRIMARY: CD Writer
    SECONDARY: SATA + IDE adapter DVD writer

Power supply is a 350W unit. Recently just changed this component now the CD-ROM/s wont go technically All plugs / cords are connected correctly / firmly.

Any advice / information would be appreciated. Thanks

Try this - Control Panel - Device Manager - CD/DVD - double click the device - Driver's Tab - click
    Update Drivers (this will likely do nothing) - then RIGHT CLICK the drive - UNINSTALL - REBOOT
    this will refresh the default driver stack.

Or

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or not recognized by Windows or other programs, so you cannot play or access a CD or DVD.

See link ----> Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Click the "Fix it" tab on that page above.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Joe

Thanks for the swift reply Joe.

The Device Manager did NOT display the CD-ROM drives installed on my comp just the HDD disk drive. The Microsoft Fix It solution was also unable to bring about a solution but offered this finding > file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/ResultReport.htm

Judging by that report its something else as I have double-triple checked the connections and everything is as it should be.

What's the exact windows error message you're getting? What about a system restore to a point when things were working. Have you considered that ?

Why did you replace power supply? What symptoms caused you to do that?

Joe

NONE @ Windows error message. The drives have power (etc) but under My Computer no CD-ROM type icon is there. Tried / attempted inserting CD / DVD which is fine but no auto run or anything.

Did you try a system restore?

How would I go about that. I know for a fact there has been a system restore point done within the last 3 months. How I would go about restoring that point is beyond me lol

Simple,

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click the Restore My Computer to an earlier time.

Let us know

Done, although it didn't rectify my problem. I have since disconnected one of the CD-ROMS and still nothing. Also tried swaping the DATA & IDE power cables still nothing.

Hi,

Going to call it a day. I'll leave you with this. Another tech will probably respond too.

CDROM Icon Missing

Please see link above for review just in case we missed something along the way. Please "Avoid" the Registry fix given on that page! The Microsoft "Fixit" would have already addressed that issue without going into the registry. Again don't go into the registry.

Can you see the cdrom drive in the BIOS? Do you know how to enter the BIOS? If you do not, just Google the name of your computer and the words Enter BIOS so like if it's a dell 4350, just Google "Enter BIOS Dell 4350 and you should find instructions, usually it's rebooting the machine and hitting the F2 KEY during restart.

Also

Please download MiniToolBox http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...iniToolBox.exe and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
    • List last 10 Event Viewer log
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    • List Devices (Only Problems)

Click Go and post the result.

Good luck, We have a very good hardware guy here! I'm sure abseh1 will reply to you too.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast