Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saving DVD's to hard drive

Is there a quick way to save DVD's to a hard drive? I would like to transfer my entire collection of about 350 discs so i can sell them to make space. I have saved a few as mp4 but when i put them on a pen drive to play on my television some will play with no problems and others will have errors.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Hi Grezaldo,

I'm only supplying information for your review so as to give you some sort of idea of what's involved. Others may have ideas too from direct experience, that I don't have....

If you’re planning on ripping a lot of DVDs, it is advisable to go out and buy a huge external hard drive, preferably over 1TB. These are fairly cheap now.

How to Rip DVDs to Your Hard Drive - Online Tech Tips

Copy DVD To Hard Drive | Can I Copy A DVD Onto My Hard Drive? | Your Home For How To Videos

How to Rip a DVD: 11 steps - wikiHow

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 06-17-2012 at 01:31 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

I'd say be careful:
    Is It Legal to Copy a DVD? - US News and World Report

Whilst having a copy of a disk which you own the original can be argued and won in court, not having the original disks could cause you problems.
    Its a risk. Its slight; but its there.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Thanks MrDarn,

During my search for Grezaldo I noticed that the legality topic came up often.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

its something that's close to my experience, as a not-so-close friend had a visit from the law. He was selling the copies, but he was still found guilty of not owning an original disk of the films he was distributing, and lost 3 computers, a printer, a computer chair, a desk, a car and his wife. Had he an original disk, he could have argued the disks found in his car were for personal use in his in-car dvd system, to protect the originals from damage.

All except the wife where deemed to have "facilitated the crime" and were confiscated! the wife left in disgust.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Thanks! It's Awesome to see ya back MrDarn posting on a regular basis here at the forum. Thanks for your excellent input on Putts thread too.

Joe........

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

On the bright side its cheaper than a divorce. Personally i have no sympathy with the film industry if people download illegal copies or buy them from dodgy Ebay sales. I see it as revenge for years of overcharging. 99% of mine are boxed sets of television series. I saved them as mp4 but this loses the menu making it impossible to select an episode. Saving as a DVD uses more disc space but is probably the better option for me. I will work my way through them a few a day and hopefully they will be done by Christmas.

There is NO QUESTION, making copies for yourself so you can sell the originals is totally illegal! You can make copies for yourself, for your own personal use (or for those living at the same address), but you MUST keep the originals. If you sell the originals, you MUST provide the buyer all the copies, or you must destroy all your own copies.

And note this is all addressed under international "intellectual property" laws (which deal with "created" copyrighted materials like music, software, works of art, and published documents). If your country is a member of the United Nations, these laws apply to you.

Period.

not having the original disks could cause you problems.
    Its a risk. Its slight; but its there.
    In my opinion, it is MUCH more than "slight" when doing this with 350 disks. For ease of doing the math in our heads, let's assume these disks were $10 a piece when new. That's $3,500 worth of illegally distributed copyrighted materials. Nothing "slight" about that. And how many new DVDs cost just $10?

The risk of being caught may be slight, but with substantial punishments of large fines and jail time for EACH violation, we are talking life and family ruining potentials. In the US, these fines can be up $500,000 and 5 years in jail - again, for EACH violation!

My advice: sell the DVDs you don't like - ensuring you destroy any copy you may have made.

Personally i have no sympathy with the film industry if people download illegal copies or buy them from dodgy Ebay sales. I see it as revenge for years of overcharging
    So you condone stealing, as long as you steal from the wealthy. I am sorry - did someone force you to go to the movies or buy those DVDs? Do you feel it is okay to make illegal copies of Windows, Office, AutoCAD, and Photoshop too?

If you invented the better mouse trap, you would be okay with thieves making counterfeits and taking all the profits, right? Yeah right!

This is not Robin Hood stealing from the rich to give to and feed the poor and hungry. This is strictly for personal gains - and not cool!

It is extremely naive and totally ignorant to even suggest stealing from the big movie studios only hurts the rich movie executives. There are 1000s of normal "blue-collar", middle to lower income workers who work in and depend on these industries to feed and clothe their children and put a roof over their heads. That naivety and ignorance only hurts the "little" people, not the rich execs. And it thumbs its nose at "law and order" - the cornerstones of any civilization. That statement is a futile attempt to rationalize stealing!

And dodgy eBay sales? What's up with that? Dodgy eBay sales target innocent consumers! Dodgy eBay sales are how thieves "fence" their "contraband" onto innocent and naive buyers who then get burned with products that are illegally obtained, don't work, or, as in the case with software, is infected.

You need to re-evaluate your position and this time, base it on the facts, not personal (and incomplete) perceptions. My apologies if I offended you. My comments are not directed at you personally, but to that misconception - as it is an offense to every law-abiding citizen out there.

Don't steal! And don't help others become (knowingly or not) thieves. That latter advice goes out to forum helpers too!
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Calm down Digerati. I'm not selling anything. I just want to make a bit of space as its cheaper than moving to a bigger house.

I just want to make a bit of space as its cheaper than moving to a bigger house.
    And that's a legitimate reason to downsize your collection, or even copy your DVDs to big archive HDs - but then storing the originals in the basement, attic, or somewhere else out of the way. I have no problems discussing the best (most secure, fastest, most robust, cost efficient, etc.) methods of doing that.

But you came here posting in your opening post that you were seeking help to make copies of, not 1 or 2, or 10 or 20, but 350!!! DVDs so you could "sell" the originals. And that's where there's a problem. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of the law. So learning the legality issues of computing are all part of the user learning experience. And I note several before me immediately posted concerns about legality issues.

Then you replied with an attempt to justify it as revenge for what "you perceive" was overcharging over the years. And we are not talking diapers, baby food, medicine, shoes for our kids. This is just for entertainment. I think popcorn at theaters is a rip off but I am not going to steal bags of Orville Redenbacher for revenge or any reason.

So yeah, I get riled up over the condoning of illegal copying - whether it is full fledge pirating, filesharing of songs and videos via torrents, re-using OEM licenses (and licensing is what we are really talking about here), or making single copies of a DVD. But not just because, or even primarily because it is illegal, but because badguys love to distribute their malware in illegal copies and security trumps all. Are your 350 disks infected? Probably not. So where do I draw the line? At stealing. And seeking assistance with stealing.

For the record - I don't speak for this site, other MVPs or the MVP program, Microsoft, or anyone else - just me. And also for the record, I fully understand that most people do not realize that making copies without proper compensation is stealing. But it is - just as shoplifting the DVD from BestBuy is. And now more people know.

So again, I apologize for my "tone" but I stick to the message. And I agree with you that DVD (and BluRay) movies cost too much. So did my new truck. Even that hamburger and fries I wasn't supposed to have at lunch cost too much. At least it delicious.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast