Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aspire X1700 Random System Freezing

I have an Acer Aspire X1700 that is freezing at random, with no pattern. When it does, it is system-wide, with no response from the mouse or keyboard, and any sounds playing at the time freeze as well (making a buzzing noise). This started about two weeks ago, and has happened more frequently as time progressed. It started with watching videos, but now occurs even when clicking through the start menu, for example. No specific programs are tied to it. Sometimes the screen may blur as well when it freezes, and randomly flashing thin vertical lines may appear also (red color on black background). The only way to stop it is holding the power button on the tower case to shut it down. About a year ago, the graphics card (in the expansion slot) burned due to bad design, but the burn was isolated to it and I've had no trouble since then, until now. The computer has been running off of an internal graphic system tied directly into the motherboard. The inside is clean and CPU temperatures have run around 39 degrees Celsius. I was able to backup files from safe mode, but it still froze once there. As a last resort, I began a full factory restore (system restore froze too). The computer went back to its original form and I went through the license agreements, but once again the system froze and blurred while beginning its revival. As far as I can figure, there must be a problem either with the CPU or motherboard (possibly with the integrated graphics). I will say that nothing visibly looks wrong with the motherboard or any components on it. Maybe there's something else I'm not aware of that you could advise me on. I haven't been able to run any other diagnostics from either safe or normal modes due to the freezing. If you know of any other solution or ideas please let me know. Thanks for your help!

4 GB Memory
    WD 640 GB Hard Drive
    Pentium Dual-Core Processor

Hi ncsuweatherman,

Welcome to Help2Go!

1 Have you Done a Google Search on your topic ---Aspire X1700 Random System Freezing quite a few of users complaining of the same issue. Didn't see any definitive answers though. Take a look for yourself at the search results.

2 I'd advise you to run diagnostics but you inform us you can't, that's a real problem in tracking down the issue, and leaves you / us replacing suspected parts as a possible troubling shooting method. I'll give you the Mem test link anyway below.

Guide to using Memtest86+ - Geeks to Go Forums

Can't run the test because of freezing, pull all the ram out and run 1 Ram card at a time in an attempt to isolate a bad card.

3 Hard drive diagnostics from the manufactures site of the hard drive would be advisable. If you can run it.

* That machine is listed as having a 220W Power Supply! That just seems way under power to me, I have light bulbs bigger then that Something to consider.

Those are my thoughts, others may reply..

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 06-19-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Sound could be the PS fan...zep is right that seems to be a standard problem with your model...I did not see any definite fixes either

The sound could be a hdd too....go to the hdd manufacturer's site and run the hdd test tool
    (hdd have temp readers too....they can heat up as well)

Back up asap too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow afternoon I'll have a chance to run the diagnostics on the other machine, which I will try to do again. As far as searching for the solution, the only ideas I've run across are somewhat similar to the issues you all mentioned. Also, as you both mentioned the power supply, it's funny that the reason I got the Acer is because the machine I was using before (and am using now), an HP Pavilion 734n stopped working because its power supply went bad. I'm glad I bought a replacement since it's a good backup computer now.

A good way to narrow down hard drive (and software) -v- hardware issues is to boot using a Linux live cd or usb.

If it still happens, you know its hardware other than the hard disk that's causing the problem. If its fine, its either the hard drive or software.

Its all about removing components until the culprit is found. this method half's the possibilities instantly.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

MrDarn....good point everyone should have a Linux Live disk ...even if just to recover data
    ==============================================
    Just a quick note....check all the fans....especially the CPU fan
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

As far as I got tonight I tried booting with the Linux cd and the system froze again. So I guess it is hardware. I was able to run the memory diagnostic test, which showed no problems, but it was only the windows system memory test. I'll have to try pulling the RAM out tomorrow since it's installed under the cd drive, and I don't have the patience for taking apart this computer tonight. Oh, and I did check all the fans again and they're all running smoothly.

Good luck! Keep us informed.

Joe

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

That saved you alot of software checking
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

I pulled out the RAM cards one at a time with no luck, but I did run across something else interesting. This is something I should have paid closer attention to earlier when looking over everything. The graphics card, tied into the motherboard, has a very slight discoloration. So I booted up the machine and checked the temperature on it, and I found it's running at 125 C. I'm not as familiar with average temps for the processor and video card, but that seemed to be way too hot to me. I think the processor was running around 88 C. Maybe this graphics card is burning out and causing the freezes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast