Default Can't access emails in hotmail using FF

This isn't specific to FF13, it's actually been happening for a while - I think it started with FF12.

I can open hotmail and see my inbox and other folders but when I click on any email nothing happens. The only way is to use IE. The strange thing is that using other computers I can use FF to access and use hotmail without any problems, it just seems to be with this machine.

I've looked for information but apart from finding others reporting the same problem, I haven't been able to find a solution.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you.

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

The strange thing is that using other computers I can use FF to access and use hotmail without any problems, it just seems to be with this machine.
    What version of FF are on the other machines?

Try accessing Hotmail in Firefox in Safe Mode.

Please note, Firefox safe mode is not the same as Windows safe mode.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Donna, that did the trick

I started FF in Safe Mode as per your link which disabled all add-ons, then when I tried opening hotmail in FF it worked perfectly. So then I started FF normally again so all the add-ons were re-enabled and started disabling them one at a time to see if one of them was causing the problem - except hotmail now works with all of them enabled!

Is it possible that just starting FF in safe mode then re-starting it would have fixed whatever was causing interference do you think?

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

Interesting question.

When I have glitches like this I use to reboot the computer, but now with all the add-ons most of us are running, I'm getting in the habit of just closing Firefox and reopening it first to see if that resolves anything, if that fails then the Reboot. Booting into Firefox Safe Mode was an excellent idea, my thinking is that it's basically going to "Reset the Add-ons" by disabling them and of course re-enabling them when you go back to regular mode, thus fixing any glitches. Sort of like resetting the router kind of thing.

Please be aware this only a "theory" and not based on scientific proof. Donnab probably has the exact answer as to what took place here.

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 07-01-2012 at 09:15 AM.

LOL! Joe, you read my mind!

With the current up dates to FF, could a glitch have been created between the Add-ons that were not updated causing them to be incompatible with the updated FF? I don't think rebooting the computer would have fixed this issue because that will not reset the Add-ons in FF, though resetting the Add-ons to meet the expectations of the FF updates could.

Many people have had this problem for well over a year with all the rapid releases to FF updates. Majority of people complained about this happening just after the FoxIt Reader plugin was updated and was not compatible with the updated FF.

I recently received an update to FoxIt Reader though I still have FF 12.0 installed and thought I'd wait to see what others say about issues before I updated FF to 13.0 but now I am getting messages to update FF to 13.1 which I haven't yet.

Here's a thread from a year ago that pertains to the issues at hand:

I can't open my email in hotmail
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"