Default Asus G-73 Random Crash

I have owned my laptop for about 2 years now. For a while the actual battery cell has been pretty much drained to the point where it will last about 2 minutes fully charged. I had been having an issue where my laptop would randomly shut completely off with no warning (when plugged into the adapter). I got my grandfather to run a test of the voltage on the adapter and it turned out it was not consistent when wiggling the cord (led me to believe it was a fault in the cable). I purchased a new one and it does not seem to have an issue with staying consistently working however it is still randomly shutting off (less frequently). I am now running it plugged into the adapter but with the battery cell taken out and so far (about 2 hours) it has worked with no problems. Is it possible that the battery cell is causing it to behave in such a manner?
    Thanks so much for your time, it is greatly appreciated!

Hi dylanjohnson,

Welcome to Help2Go

The first step we usually recommend is to remove the battery from the Laptop in a situation like this, as you have done already. The battery can cause issues when they get old, they can load down the charging circuit and cause other issues as well like heat problems, so taking it out of the loop is an excellent troubleshooting exercise. Good Job!

Please let us know if any other issues occur.

Joe

Thanks for the reply

Sadly this did not seem to do much. I am beginning to question if it is a heating issue as the laptop has been very hot around when it shuts down. Does this sound likely? If this is the issue how can I check to be sure, and assuming so how much would a repair be?

Thanks Again!

Please provide the make and model of the Laptop. There are vents on the side of the Laptop too, they often get clogged with dust and that can cause overheating. It will shut down to prevent any further damage to the Laptop.

Joe

Sorry I see the make now. Let me Google heating issues with that model and see what shows up, you're welcome to join in. Just Google Asus G-73 heat issue see it anyone else has an issue.

* The other think to do if you suspect an overheat issue is to move the Laptop to cooler area, or put a fan directly on it, lift it up off the table so air can flow under it just prop it up with something.....
    Last edited by zep516; 07-20-2012 at 11:28 PM.