Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crazy problem, comp screen turns off whilst video rendering....

Hi gang, newby here and glad of any help anyone can give on this really crazy problem.

I started by upgrading my sons comp to a new mobo (Gigabyte) and Bulldozer 6 core cpu. with 8gb ram and running on 64 bit windows 7.

He needs something more powerful than he had for some school video projects for his media studies.

So he was working on Adobe After Effects and whilst rendering a video suddenly the monitor turned off and no way to get it back on. I already went through the power settings and set them all to 'none' so no sleep mode anywhere enabled. I tried to turn the computer off holding the power button on the front of the machine to no avail, although the light was on the system was non responsive. The only way to switch off was from the back next to the power supply.

I called the guy who changed my mobo and cpu and told him. He took it away and changed the mobo, cpu and ram to a new lot that he had for another system. He bough the machine back after having had it on all night and no switch offs!

My son happily got on with his work and all good till he rendered again then...off the screen went again. I removed the graphics card we had in the machine (1gb Radeon HD 5570) and used the on board graphics to see if that was the culprit......same thing!
    I then bought a brand new Power supply (OCZ ZS Series 650W) and swapped that. Seemed ok till the same again happened.

I then re formatted the computer and reinstalled everything form scratch...same again!

I am at a loss for words and also have broken the bank. I could have bought a brand new complete system with all this money spent on this old system. But I just cannot see what else is left. It seems to me to be a mobo/cpu problem, but I am not a techie and therefore cannot be sure but since he changed it? (or so he says)

I don't think it can be the monitor either cause it is only 6 months old and works like a dream till this rendering happens.

If anyone can shed any light on what they think the problem may be I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Hi and thanks for the link however we are on CS6 and after having looked at the page you point to, I cannot see anything relating to our problem.

Have you updated? That was the main point of the link, here's info on your newer release After Effects CS6 (11.0.1) update: bug fixes and added GPU and 3D renderer support After Effects region of interest . It appears that under certain circumstance the program crashes. They also give a link to ask questions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Have you updated? That was the main point of the link, here's info on your newer release After Effects CS6 (11.0.1) update: bug fixes and added GPU and 3D renderer support After Effects region of interest . It appears that under certain circumstance the program crashes. They also give a link to ask questions.
    Updated and problem still there, I am starting to think it could be the system. But we have (apparently) changed the mobo, cpu, ram & power supply......anyone have any ideas as to what this problem could be?

I am also very sceptical as to whether this guy really did change the mobo/cpu/ram when he took it away...I have no proof of that and since the same fault occurs, it could very well be that he took it away, tested it by leaving it on overnight (no real test there) finding nothing wrong and brought it back saying all changed...?

any real tests anyone knows of that could lead us to the problem?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ha33y; 07-31-2012 at 04:35 PM.

UPDATE....
    I ran some stress tests using 'heavyload' on the system and guess what....it happened again! so it's not After Effects. Monitor switched off and i couldn't get the system to shut down even with the power button on the front. I had to switch it off fron the rear power button and then restart as normal.

So it's official, it's the system but what????

Analyzing hardware problems over the internet is pretty hard. You might be better off taking the PC into a reputable computer repair store and have them test each component as well as their connections. Others may have input, so stay tuned.

Note: I have found in the past, if you have a collage or university nearby that has a computer store & repair shop they usually give good service and reasonable rates.

Analyzing hardware problems over the internet is pretty hard. You might be better off taking the PC into a reputable computer repair store and have them test each component as well as their connections. Others may have input, so stay tuned.

Note: I have found in the past, if you have a collage or university nearby that has a computer store & repair shop they usually give good service and reasonable rates.
    Thanks for your comments which have been noted.

Thing is....there aint much else it can be since i have changed or removed most stuff in there. I recon it's gotta be the mobo/cpu.
    I been reading that the bulldozer 6 core is a load of &%^$!! and prolly the worst chip they ever made. So that could be the culprit just not being able to stand up to any kind of stress?

See if anything here helps you, or get you to think in a different direction perhaps.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    See if anything here helps you, or get you to think in a different direction perhaps.

Joe
    Hi and thanks Zep, appreciate your input. Yep I think mine could be cpu as well. Whilst I was running the test with 'heavyload' I was motoring it and it reached well above 200 degrees. Is that normal when being tested?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast