Thread: Laptop Issues

Default Laptop Issues

hi a good friend of my pointed me in your direction :-)

trying to be a helpful future son in law and help out the future mother in law when her laptop died on her, that was easy it was a virus so a quick clean install of xp later(couldnt get win 7 to install and was pressed for time) one working laptop, but due to it being a hp pavillion dv8700 made for vista or i just forgot she had no sound, so as she was away for 2 weeks i had a tinker and popped win 7 on there no problems. the problem started when i put ms office on it and it died.

now can't do anything with it.

have tried everything i know

1) fresh install of xp - hangs at windows is starting or reboots back to post screen
    2) fresh install of win 7 - comes up with message saying "the file may be corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum" (wont boot from cd)
    3) USB bootable of both win 7 and xp nothing bar a blinking cousor
    4) USB bootable of Linux - gets to the front screen with option for either live or install - laptop restarts itself
    5) have taken battery out and tried it with mains only - same issue - restarts
    6) ran a quick memtest and it gave me over 4k errors in a short space of time( thinking maybe the ram is dead or broken)

my thoughts are - 1) dead or dying hard drive 2) dead stick of ram

any help or pointers would be a great help

thanks

The problems with USB and the memtest result kinda rule out it being a hard drive problem.

How many sticks of ram? try just 1, see if you see a difference.

just hope it is a RAM problem, and not the Motherboard! (fingers crossed!)
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7