Default Change of IP address

I have been having a problem staying connected to the internet for a while now.
    Maybe 3 weeks or a month. Generally the lights stayed on on the modem. Often I could still use the phone that is attached to that modem. Resetting the modem generally brought me back. The folks at Comcast seemed amazed at the way it was working. A couple of weeks ago they said that there was a problem in the area and to wait and see. They sent someone out (unexpected) and he said he adjusted levels outside. Then he tried to convince me that 15 mpbs was good. Said that Comcast only guantees 6.

Yesterday I called Comcast and got a lady who seemed to know what she was doing she said to check my IP address and sure enough I had one starting with 169. She said that that is not a Comcast address. We were able to get it back to a Comcast address by powering down the computer on my end and her resetting my modem. Ran good the rest of the day and so far today.

Okay, my question is, is there a known virus, trojan, malware or bad bugger that can change a IP address? I use MSE, MalWareBytes, and SpyBot as well as Spyware blocker. I have Zone Alarm for a fire wall. I don't know if it is related but the long versions of MSE or when I leave SpyBot running doesn't seem to finish running.

Running a approx 12 year old Compaq pentium 2 gigs of speed and 1 gig of memory.

Then he tried to convince me that 15 mpbs was good.
    It is! Very good! But check your service agreement to see what you are paying for. If paying for 25 (super good), then you can complain. If paying for 6, then be happy.

If you are running TeaTimer, I would disable that - it might be dragging down your full scans. Otherwise, MSE, ZoneAlarm and supplemental scans with MBAM, assuming the computer is otherwise fully updated, and you don't do risky things on the Internet, should be fine. And by the way, I do full scans once on my computers, then never again. Only quick after that. Full scans take too long.

So your IP address does not start with 169 now? I think what happened is there was something wrong on their end in their tables and all it really took was a full reset, including a new IP assignment to ensure all the tables were saying the right thing. Since it took you just rebooting your computer and your network (established by your modem) to get you a new IP address, that tells me your IP assignment was done automatically by DHCP. Otherwise, she would have told you the full IP address for you to type in.

Typically, when there is no connectivity with a particular IP address for some set period of time, the IP address is "released" and returned to the pool for the next customer. So my guess is sometime in the past, you had a power outage, or they had some interruption in service and the IP assignment became corrupted.

By rebooting everything, all tables on your side and theirs were reset with the new, and same IP and all works.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Good advice there from Digerati, also, to speed up scan times, get rid of the rubbish before scanning by clearing temporary files, uninstalling unused programs and emptying the recycle bin.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Thanks,
    Sounds right. Guess I'll check the address the next time I have these type problems. I run ccleaner often. Generally I am happy with my speed.
    Again, thanks to both of you.

I run ccleaner often
    So do I. But remember, depending on your CC settings, CC will "mark" for deletion many files (index.dat for example) it cannot delete while Windows is running in normal mode. Those files are then deleted during the next boot and that may noticeably increase the boot time. But subsequent boots should be normal.

However, if you also delete your prefetch data, it will take a few user sessions for Windows to learn your computer usage patterns again. For that reason, I don't recommend deleting the fetch data.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────