Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default PC Will Not Boot Up To The Desktop

Hi NS; am a new member of this Website, but am no Tech and need help with some real PC headaches: have got an old "backup" PC (a Micro-Star International) which now will not boot up - it gets to the Windows (XP3 Home) logo, but after the "loading bar" has "loaded" about one and a half times, the monitor almost always goes black, and the green "On" light on the monitor goes yellow. And nothing happens. Every now and then, instead of the screen going black, the PC jumps to the "Safe Mode" menu (the one with "Last Known Good Configuration" etc in the list) but that is a dead-end also.

Have repeatedly tried to reinstall the Operating System but the reinstalls keep failing; am unable to reach the Desktop: instead of rebooting into those Microsoft panels that you have to go through before reaching the Desktop, the PC conks out during the reboot with the screen going black.

Have never encountered trouble like this before and am totally bewildered. Have not put any new hardware into/onto the PC, and the culprit is not any new programs on it because it apparently hasn't even got an Operating System any more (or not one with a Desktop by the looks of it!!!).

Finally, the "Repair Windows" program on the XP3 installation CD, that is the one with all the Command-Prompt stuff on it, isn't it??? That kind of thing is extremely daunting to a non-Tech.

Cheers NS.

Hi

Welcome to Help2Go

What is the model # ? How old is it? What was the original problem, just would not boot to the operating system? Did you hear any noises or anything like that?

Part of the problem is that the PC is old an something has probably failed hardware wise, that's why it failed originally and that's why you may not be able to reinstall.

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 08-18-2012 at 12:11 AM.

You have a failing hard drive, Maritza.

Finally, the "Repair Windows" program on the XP3 installation CD, that is the one with all the Command-Prompt stuff on it, isn't it??? That kind of thing is extremely daunting to a non-Tech

None of that will harm you.

Talking

Hello zep 516, and asoonernurse:

Thank you for your replies; the PC is an ancient Micro-Star International MS-1735 (as mentioned in the original post it was used as a backup machine, and was/is badly needed because my "good" computer (an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium PC, which this is being written on) is around eight years old as well and is having some bad problems in the hard-drive department too: the HDD often sounds like a concrete-mixer!!! What's more, it is a recently obtained 2nd-hand HDD that was meant to replace the badly clapping-out original one!!!

Unfortunately am unable to afford a new computer so have to make do with old stuff.

zep516: when the Micro-Star conks out when booting, it makes a "cracking" noise. And yeah, when trying to reinstall the OS, the installation disk cannot "get to" the Desktop: the installation process claps out/short-circuits during the reboot stage that, in the days when proper OS reinstalls were able to be done, preceeded those Microsoft panels which have stuff on them where you can activate the OS, ,etc (after these panels, if you are familiar with XP3 Home, the Desktop would then materialize).

The reinstallation CD cannot fully complete the reinstallation process, and when it claps out during the abovementioned reboot, the computer then behaves as per "normal" with the "crack" and black screen every time attempts are made to boot it up.

zep516, looks like i've got a great big door-stop now, or else the world's biggest paperweight!!!

asoonernurse: you almost certainly are correct that it is the HDD: it was noisy when the PC (the Micro-Star) was obtained and often had OS stability problems. But it's HDD was nowhere near as bad (noisewise) as the HDD in the (recently obtained from an auction website) ASUS PC, which ended up dying, and a 2nd-hand replacement was acquired from the guy who sold me the ASUS..... but the "new" HDD is even noisier than the one that clapped out!!!

Hard-Drives, they are gonna drive me to drink (well they do say every cloud has a silver lining)!!!

Finally, thank you again, people, for your Posts. Also want to thank a Tech on Help2Go named "Canuck": i put my post in the wrong place on the Website, and Canuck very kindly shifted it to a correct location where guys like you could see it. Canuck wrote me a very nice message as well but i accidentally deleted it when attempting to reply to Canuck (was unable to reply, as kept getting dumped into "Logged Out" when trying to post the reply, and somewhere along the line accidentally deleted Canucks' message, and was unable any more to try and reply, until eventually being able to navigate to this page: hopefully will get better at using the Website, but am pretty wobbly at it, at the moment, so just want to say here very much appreciate your kindness Canuck).

Cheers Everyone, Thank You. "Staritza".
    Last edited by Staritza; 08-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Unhappy

P.S. The ASUS had to be sent to the local Tech shop last week because it's power-unit blew up!!! Got them to put the "new" HDD in as well, and was eagerly anticipating a nice, quiet computer (am not used to them!!!) but as said, when it was delivered back and rigged up and started up, to my utter horror it sounded like it had a concrete mixer inside it!!! The HDD bangs, clunks, grinds, and goes "RataTataTat" like a big industrial sewing machine. How long until it goes belly-up like the other ones?

But cannot afford a new one: computers and parts (even 2nd hand stuff) is eye-wateringly expensive in the country i live in. The bill from the Tech shop is gonna make obtaining even another 2nd-hand one a "Five Year Plan" just about.

2nd-hand computers and parts, they're Bad News!!! Anyone reading this who is tempted to go down that path - DON'T!!!
    Last edited by Staritza; 08-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Hi Staritza,

Sorry to hear about your luck or lack of it, yes old parts can be a pain as you have seen,

You've got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    Know when to run

Joe

Talking

Cheers zep516/Joe: You are assuredly Precision-Correct zep516; a long time ago in a local Tech mag there was an article that said that a Geek Rule-Of-Thumb is "Never Buy 2nd-Hand Computer Gear".

But zep516, there are people who simply cannot afford new stuff and for them it's either used gear or nothing, and in this world, anyone without a computer is like a horse with two peg-legs - computers are literally indispensable to everyone - even Hillbillies like me!!!

Hey zep516: the ASUS PC......in spite of it's age (at least eight years old, same as the Micro-star) it has nevertheless got untold more "Grunt Capacity" than the puny Micro-Star (when the M-S is opened up, there is practically nothing in it!!!) - the ASUS has got an Athlon Dual-Core Processor, can take 4GB of RAM, and has got two PCI x 16 Express Slots.

Have got more (2nd-hand!!!) RAM for it (to take it up to 4GB; it has 2GB now) and a new Video Card (a Gigabyte HD 5450; which aint much by todays standards, but should be a lot better than the monstrosity that is in the computer: have never installed any PC cards before so keep putting it off - want to put the RAM in at the same time, but the RAM bays are in a heck of a hard to get at place, buried under a morass of wiring, so am finding it hard to dredge up the enthusiasm; also live in extremely primitive and cramped conditions which make trying to work on anything, and let alone computers, incredibly difficult) - really have to try and go the "whole hog" with the ASUS (upgrading it as much possible) because it's way too late to throw the cards in viz-a-viz The Gambler!!!

So now that it's (burn't-out) power-supply box has been replaced (and yes - with a 2nd-hand one!!!) and it's HDD is gonna have to be replaced as soon as possible, what do you reckon, zep516, would be the PC's prospects of keeping going for a few more years??? Is there anything else on it that is liable to clap out??? Pleeez say no!!!

Thank You zep516, good talkin to ya.

Kindest Regards, "Staritza".
    Last edited by Staritza; 08-18-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Hi Staritza,

Is there anything else on it that is liable to clap out??? Pleeez say no!!!
    Anything is subject to failure at any given time, things can go to crap in a heart beat and not just computers LOL, everything I have was given to me, my nephew built my computer as I watched and learned some things, The operating system Windows 7 was given to me by a dear friend. The only thing I could suggest is to work with what you have and that seems to be your only choice. If my System craps out today, I too would find it difficult to replace it right a away, due to financial constraints, at that point I would have to consider a used working PC, I would head towards the local paper want adds, craigs list, and even E-Bay. What resources do you have in your area?

Joe

We all feel you pain, Staritza.

But I think we can all agree, your hard drive is corrupted far beyond saving. At this point, it doesn't matter what you do with software if there are few (if any) healthy sectors to take the information.

Time to get a new hard drive, or better yet, whip out the credit card and buy yourself a nice new laptop. :-)

Gooday zep516/Joe, and asoonernurse:

Many thanks again for taking the time to write you guys, hope all is well.

zep516/Joe: you are lucky having a nephew who is a Tech, and having observed an entire computer rebuild; i would love to see one being built (am only on dial-up so cannot watch video's on the Web showing builds being done, and it is not easy to crawl around the Web on dial-up hunting for well-illustrated articles on building/installing components in PC's: it can take 5, 10, or more minutes just to get into a Website to check it out, and most times the articles turn out to be badly and confusingly written and often do not even have any pictures at all!!!) because actually seeing what the Tech is doing, and how they do it, while being able to ask questions as well, is definitely the Royal Highway to learning about computers.

Also zep516/Joe, you say that if your PC tanks sometime, you might look for a replacement in the Classifieds or on an auction site, but instead of that, couldn't you ask your nephew to find you one through his circle of mates and contacts??? He would make sure you got a good one, or might even build you one again!!!

Resources at this end of the line??? Well apart from buying stuff from Tech shops (who are humungous Ripoffs) the overwhelmingly primary place here for 2nd-hand gear (and new stuff too) is a big "EBay" type auction website: it used to be very good with practically all the "sellers" on it being private individuals selling stuff just like in a newspaper "Wanted To Sell". But times change, and on the Web they can change fast, - and the auction site has been swamped by merchants who plaster vast morasses of listings everywhere, and it's reached the stage where in area's like the "Computers" section you get page after page consisting of nothing else except merchants' listings, but you can't tell if it is a merchant or not, unless you actually go into the listings' auction page. These merchants typically peddle ultra low-end, ancient corporate PC's (there are absolutely shiteloads of them, and these merchants obviously hunt round for corporations that are replacing their old computers, and offer to buy all of the old ones for next to nothing, prior to advertising them on the auction website!!!) and astronomical numbers of 2nd-hand parts like Hard Drives, etc. The average age of this stuff they peddle is six or more years, which in Canada/USA/Europe is classified as "Garbage Dump Junk", but unfortunately in my country, due to the eye-watering price of new computers/components (a new 1GB stick of Kingston RAM here goes for around fifty US dollars; but an American dude told me you could pick that up in the US for $15.00!!!) they can actually sell that stuff to suckers like me!!!

zep516/Joe: the Geeks in this country (they have got a whole community and a very good communications "Grapevine") never buy any digital equipment here, and instead they find out when anyone is going to the US or Europe, and they give them lists of what computer stuff they want: and no jive, they can obtain in the US, and bring it all the way back here, anything for at most, half the price the exact same thing is selling for in the electronics shops here, and that includes freighting it back here/importing it!!!

Hence the reason the auction site is swarming with merchants hawking their junk, because there is a heck of a lot of non-Geeks in this country who cannot afford new computer gear, and can barely afford the junk the auction site merchants are touting!!!

Finally, zep516/Joe: have swallowed the fact viz what you said about the ASUS still having plenty more room to keel-over!!! But zep516/Joe, i was desperately attempting to be (somewhat futilely) to be optimistic!!!

Cheers zep516/Joe: Many Thanks, and All The Very Best,

"Staritza"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast