Default HEY H@G forum, it's bee a while!!!

Hi there,

This forum helped me rebuild a computer a few years ago. I am hoping SOMEBODY can help with this issue ...

I was in the process of running a boot scan on my mother's HP desktop. My smartphone needed charged up, and there was an adapter available for the USB ports in the front of the CPU. I plugged it in, and the computer went blank. Now, the USB ports seem to be demolished on this tower (reports claim that something happened a while ago, which mis-aligned the tabs in the port). NOW, the computer won't boot past the HP start-up screen. This machine is loaded with Windows 7, but the OS won't seem to boot up. I am curious if it may be just going through the boot scan again, or may I have shorted something by plugging in that adapter to charge my phone???

Thanks,

sph92173

Blog Entries

You can try disabling USB temporarily in the BIOS to troubleshoot

Then see if it boots

Often a CD in the cd drive or a bad USB device can cause the computer booting issues

Since there are many makers of BIOS/CMOS programs they differ.

When you first start the computer it will say something like press F1 or DEL to enter setup or check your manual

If you do this it will take you inside the BIOS/CMOS and you can make changes.
    =================================================
    By boot scan was it an anti-virus boot scan or memory.... what type...please explain?
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by sph92173 View Post
    I am curious if it may be just going through the boot scan again, or may I have shorted something by plugging in that adapter to charge my phone???
    Abseh is right that a CD in the cd drive or a bad USB device can cause the computer booting issues. This is often the root cause of many booting issues.

You might have also corrupted one of these important files - NTLDR, Ntoskrnl.exe, Ntdetect.com, BOOTMGR, NTFS.SYS, or Hal.dll.

Can you tell us what program were you using to do the boot scan with? Oftentimes, when this happens with a specific program, the makers will post a fix on their website.

And yes, it is possible, but not probable, that plugging in your phone caused an electrostatic discharge (which is bad) but I don't think this is the case here.

At least now you know never to touch a computer that is running a boot scan. :-)

Take some time to peruse these articles:

How To Troubleshoot a Computer That Won't Turn On

How to fix a computer that won't start

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...t-boot/6031733
    Last edited by asoonernurse; 08-26-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Member Spyware Fighter

Hello,

Have you tried booting into Safemode or Last Known Good Configuration?

Now reboot into Safe Mode.
    This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer
    You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration.

Please see here for additional details.

Could you also tell us what operating system is installed on this computer. Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8?
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

Thanks asoonernurse, but the problem has been corrected, I just needed to be patient.

Thanks asoonernurse, but the problem has been corrected, I just needed to be patient.
    I'm glad to hear it. :-)

All the techs on Help2Go throw out their best advice in the hopes that it will help you during your troubleshooting phase.

We all come from various IT backgrounds and have unique skill sets from which we work. We all approach the problem from different angles and usually come up with different solutions.

Hopefully, you as the poster, can apply them one by one, according to what seems the most logical advice at the time, moving on to the next piece of advice if that does not work out for you, until you finally get your machine back up and running.

Can you tell us how you corrected the situation? The more information we have, the better off we are when similar problems arises down the road!

Best of luck.

Michael
    Last edited by asoonernurse; 08-27-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Well, Michael ... all I did was take off the case and make sure everything was attached correctly on the motherboard. Since that involved time, I guess the computer decided not to mess with me (I'd win). Once I got everything re-assembled, the computer decided to boot up like normal, and all was good. Like I stated, I just needed to be patient.

Well, Michael ... all I did was take off the case and make sure everything was attached correctly on the motherboard. Since that involved time, I guess the computer decided not to mess with me (I'd win). Once I got everything re-assembled, the computer decided to boot up like normal, and all was good. Like I stated, I just needed to be patient.
    Ah! The Old 'is it plugged into the wall?" method!. Very good. At least you've spared yourself form everything else that might have gone wrong!