Default And another stupid question...

When I bought the Acer machine referred to in my other current thread, I did so in Spain. It was bought with Windows Vista Home Premium and was hence loaded with the Spanish version with no recourse to English. Had I bought the machine in England it would have had the English version. Does the same country specific OS apply to Windows 7.
    Assuming this to be the case what version of W7 would I have to specify in order to have an English version available here in Spain?

Half the battle when trying to fault find on this machine is that everything is in Spanish... and whilst my conversational Spanish is improving the Technical aspects of the language leave me cold especially when M/Soft keep changing the definitions of the files it uses!

I still think that XP was the most user friendly version of Windows ever... anything else is just change for change sake!

Blog Entries

In the meantime use this link to translate....it leaves the tech in English most of the time
    I speak Spanish as a second language and it works fine for me....your Spanish is probably much better
    I live in Florida
    Google Translate

Edit: Should have stated just copy and paste the text to use the application
    Last edited by abseh1; 08-25-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by whitenoiz View Post
    Assuming this to be the case what version of W7 would I have to specify in order to have an English version available here in Spain?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by whitenoiz View Post
    I still think that XP was the most user friendly version of Windows ever... anything else is just change for change sake!
    Aw...give it a chance. It grows on you. Eventually. :-)

"Yes"? He's asking what version he needs.

If you only need English, it does not matter, you just need to make sure you order English. If you need to switch back and forth between languages you need Windows 7 Ultimate - which lets you switch back and forth between 35 languages. Ultimate is the only version which includes the Multilingual User Interface (Language Pack).
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    "Yes"? He's asking what version he needs.
    Sorry, Bill. Up too late in the morning. Not paying attention. Thought he asked if he'd need an English version.

lol. I hear ya. That's why my coffee pot is on a timer!
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Thanks Guys... pretty much what I expected!
    Made some enquiries at various computer outlets over here and all say the same thing that their products come preloaded with the Basic or Home versions of W7, so will have to source an English version from an English store.
    Presumably one can delete the preinstalled / preloaded version and replace it with the English one... or is the a job for an expert?

wn

Presumably one can delete the preinstalled / preloaded version and replace it with the English one... or is the a job for an expert?
    It should not be a problem, but you will need to backup any data you don't want to lose.
    Last edited by Digerati; 08-27-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

[QUOTE=whitenoiz;468023]Presumably one can delete the preinstalled / preloaded version and replace it with the English one... or is the a job for an expert?/QUOTE]

Not really a job for a expert if you are comfortable with partition programs. I use FDisk, but I also use GParted and EaseUS Partition Master (my personal favorite).

You simply format the partition the Spanish Windows sits on and reload your Windows (English) from the disk. The English full edition, not the upgrade version. Just stay away from formatting the MBR. lol.

This is what is known as a "clean install".

And like Bill says, and I wholeheartedly agree, BACK UP YOUR DATA, or you will surely lose it.