Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Lenovo T60 Thinkpad - Fresh installation - BSOD

I recently dusted out an old laptop that I had at home and decided that it was to be donated. Rather than wipe the hard drive clean of files, I decided to run a fresh reformat of the system. I deleted the existing partitions and then proceeded to install a fresh (original) copy of Win XP professional with SP 3. Upon installation and initial startup, everything ran fine programs launched, installed etc. The only thing I didn't check was the internet access, as this machine is being donated to a location with no internet access. In any case, as soon as I either restart or shutdown and start the computer, I am faced with a BSOD just prior to the login screen.

System : Lenovo Thinkpad T60 Laptop
    Machine Type : 1951 - 2MA
    Operating Sytem : Windows XP Pro, with SP 3

I'm not sure how much more information I can give you that's useful, but if there is any please do ask. I'm a bit confused as to what I can do right now.

Thank you very much in advance

Edit* For clarification - this particular computer has ZERO ACCESS to ze interwebz. This means that I can download programs onto the computer I am using (a Mac) and transfer the installer via USB and then run the program, but I cannot use auto-update tools like alot of you are suggesting

Edit* 2 : I have actually tried running a fresh install more than once yes.
    Last edited by suchiththa; 08-29-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Hi suchiththa,

I am faced with a BSOD just prior to the login screen
    At this point, a blue screen prior to the Welcome/login screen could be due to a driver corruption and since you actually can get into windows then it must not be a vitally important driver.

You could try to correct this by downloading DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated.

You may also want to run a chkdsk on the drive:

Go to Start > Run > and type in cmd > hit Enter

In the command prompt type chkdsk C: /f

It will probably ask you if you want to run check disk after a restart just hit Yes

Other members may be along shortly with other options too! Please stay tuned..

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi suchiththa,

At this point, a blue screen prior to the Welcome/login screen could be due to a driver corruption and since you actually can get into windows then it must not be a vitally important driver.

You could try to correct this by downloading DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated.

You may also want to run a chkdsk on the drive:

Go to Start > Run > and type in cmd > hit Enter

In the command prompt type chkdsk C: /f

It will probably ask you if you want to run check disk after a restart just hit Yes

Other members may be along shortly with other options too! Please stay tuned..

Donna
    The Chkdsk sounds like an option, but what would you expect me to see after a fresh install on a clean drive?
    Also, I'd love to check the drivers online, but this system has ZERO access to the world wide web. The best I can do is download and install programs via USB, but no direct internet access.
    The reason for all these objections is that I'll have to run yet another full fresh install, and that doesn't allow me to restart the system at ANY point, because the only way to get around the BSOD is yet another fresh reinstall. But thank you very much for all your suggestions

Blog Entries

I like the clean install again....do not reformat first...let Windows do the clean install (format) for you
    Install a security program first....then windows updates via the USB Wireless adapter....assuming you have access to a wireless router or station

You can run a USB Wireless adapter...then go to windows update
    (USB Wireless adapters are very cheap)
    You can keep it and use it for any computer you want wireless...you need to install the USB wireless drivers for any computer you use

After Windows updates go to the manufacturer's website for drivers
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by suchiththa View Post
    The Chkdsk sounds like an option, but what would you expect me to see after a fresh install on a clean drive?
    Also, I'd love to check the drivers online, but this system has ZERO access to the world wide web. The best I can do is download and install programs via USB, but no direct internet access.
    The reason for all these objections is that I'll have to run yet another full fresh install, and that doesn't allow me to restart the system at ANY point, because the only way to get around the BSOD is yet another fresh reinstall. But thank you very much for all your suggestions
    Hi Suchiththa,

You did a clean install (but did not format the partition first) so corrupted drivers could be the problem.

Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related, so updated drivers could fix the cause of the stop error. Unfortunately, as you say, without an internet connection, this would be difficult to perform.

That said, it is always a good idea to back up your updated drivers as you get them to a CD ROM or USB using a good driver update program. Donna named one, I use Driver Robot by Blitware. That way, should something happen (like just did) you could reinstall the new drivers and hopefully bypass another occurrence of the BSOD.

It would also help if you could provide the stop error number, as each number is related to a specific function and helpful in troubleshooting.
    Last edited by asoonernurse; 08-28-2012 at 03:08 PM.

It would also help if you could provide the stop error number, as each number is related to a specific function and helpful in troubleshooting.
    The program below maybe helpful in troubleshooting too.

Lets see if we can see what's causing the Blue Screen

Download WhoCrashed
    This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

• Put a tick in Accept then click on Next.
    • Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next.
    • Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon.
    • then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish.
    • Click Analyze
    • It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it.
    Copy and paste it into your next reply.

EDIT No internet connection Shame on me!!!!!
    Last edited by zep516; 08-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post

Stop number is : 0x0000007B(0xF79F8524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I'm going to run a new install now and see if I can partition my drive so that I have an empty partition + an OS partition as well. I will update this post as I see anything

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post

Updated the OP to ensure no one else gets confused I will download all these softwares and see what I might be seeing

Edit* To clarify, I did in fact format the partition before installing, the setup does that for me. I'm currently installing/formatting a C -Drive with 30 GB of space and a D drive with 27 GB.
    Last edited by suchiththa; 08-29-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by suchiththa View Post
    Stop number is : 0x0000007B(0xF79F8524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
    Explanation:
    STOP: 0x0000007B (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

In layman's terms, a STOP error 0x7B means that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

So the problem lies at the first partitioning of your drive. Appears as though you corrupted the systems partition when you tried to format/partition your drive initially.

You get to do it all over again.
    Last edited by asoonernurse; 08-29-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asoonernurse View Post
    Explanation:
    STOP: 0x0000007B (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

In layman's terms, a STOP error 0x7B means that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

So the problem lies at the first partitioning of your drive. Appears as though you corrupted the systems partition when you tried to format/partition your drive initially.

You get to do it all over again.

The thing is I've already done this about 4 times.

Alright so 3 software installations later this is what I got.
    Drivermax - requires me to create an account - online.
    Driver Robot - Got a report, opened the report up on my own laptop, and am currently downloading all the drivers mentioned. Attached the file with the report.
    WhoCrashed - Had issues with the software, since it required me to download WinDbg x86 package.

A question though. WhoCrashed can't help me if I haven't crashed yet right? And after I've crashed I can't use it can I since I have a constant BSOD?
    Also, I ran the chkdsk, and yes it said it would run again on the next restart, but I don't want to restart until I've tried every possible solution.
    Attached Files

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast