Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default http won't go away

I run Windows Vista and use Windows Internet Explorer 9 as my browser. My problem is in my browser address bar (upper left hand corner) http:// is automatically inserted in every address I insert whether I type it or not. There are several sites I go to that only require www. before the address. It does not matter if I type in the www. address or do a search for the www. address, the http is always inserted. When this happens I can not go to the address I want. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Blog Entries

IF you have run antivirus and malware tools in my signature below....you might try resetting IE first....use fixit if able
    How to reset Internet Explorer settings

If that does not fix it....let us know...IE9 can be repaired too

There are other options ....more complicated like using host files ....resetting IE9 may do the job?

BTW: Make sure you run Windows updates and the critical updates are installed
    Last edited by abseh1; 08-28-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Gary,

This is an integral part of IE, and one of the reasons I use Firefox and Chrome! I have tried many ways to turn off the http:// auto complete function in IE, including shutting of the Internet settings > Content > auto complete function and unchecking the inline auto complete functions of IE. Neither worked. I hope you can find the solution. If you do, please let us know.

Blog Entries

Disable Referrer for Internet Explorer

Just add the sites that cause issues to the trusted sites

This can be done from the computer's Control Panel > Internet Options, or from within the browser Tools > Internet Options.
    Click Security.
    Click Trusted Sites then Sites.
    Add your website address in the box provided and click Add.
    Uncheck the box that requires https verification. (also, works for http)
    Click the Privacy tab (Medium is an acceptable setting on the slider, but click Sites and again enter your website address)/
    Now click Allow.
    Click Apply.

This has only altered settings for your website and this does not otherwise affect your browsing.

You can also, do the same in Firefox and other programs and Browsers
    See more info below:
    Automatically Disable HTTP referrer

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    Disable Referrer for Internet Explorer
    It's unfortunate that IE doesn't go the route of Firefox in disabling all referrers. On the other hand, I was never much of a fan of IE, and have used alternative browsers since the browser wars. I suppose that makes me somewhat biased in this field.

I don't see the problem - or maybe I just don't understand it - quite possible. When I start IE and click on the address bar, anything in there is highlighted, which means as soon as I start typing, it is overwritten. When I open a new tab, the address bar is already highlighted, and already in focus - I just need to start typing. That seems extremely intuitive and simple - to me.

What do you have set for your home page? What do you have set for when a new tab is opened?

You all know the old trick of using Ctrl+Enter, right? If you type microsoft (for example) in the address bar, then hit Ctrl+Enter, Windows automatically puts in the http:// in the beginning and .com at the end. Since Windows does this, it works for any browser.
    On the other hand, I was never much of a fan of IE, and have used alternative browsers since the browser wars. I suppose that makes me somewhat biased in this field.
    It does if you don't take the time to learn and understand IE (or whatever browser is under discussion). I, on the other hand never believed all the hype FF fans and MS bashers (notably the IT media) tried to spew over IE. And funny thing, no computer under my responsibility has been infected when using IE5, IE6, IE7, IE8, or IE9. Why? Because I keep my systems updated, patched, scanned, and blocked and I avoid risky behavior - the SAME THING everyone must do, regardless of browser used.

It is clearly biased if IE9 (and IE8) is denigrated just because it is IE (or MS). IE9 is not IE6.

Frankly, I am always disappointed when users with IE problems are told to use another browser. That is bad advice as it does not fix the problem. I am NOT suggesting anyone here did that, I am just saying switching to something else does not fix the problem.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

(Edit did not see Bills post ...I was addressing asoonernurse's previous post )

Not really, I use three Browsers...IE...FF but mainly Opera

I like IE9....it is not your father's old Browser anymore

I do it mainly, because I do web building as an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and often find it easier to have several Browsers going @ the same time

If you do any research @ all ....multi Browsers are very helpful too

I guess you could tab the same browser...but it can get a bit confusing...having certain items in certain Browsers works for me a bit better

BTW: Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread...I hope Gayford has a solution for his problem...let us know
    Last edited by abseh1; 08-29-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: claraification

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    IE.
    Clearly I have been misunderstood, Bill. I am not bashing IE, it is just that this is my personal preference in browsers. Sorry for all that, guys.

I know you were not "bashing" IE and I apologize for implying that - it was not my intent. My concern is the frequent suggestions or implying by many to switch to something else without fixing the original problem - and basing that suggestion on personal opinions of previous versions of that product, or on unfounded facts on that product - in this case, IE. As I noted above, you did NOT do that, but my fear is what people may read into it. And when dealing with Microsoft products, thanks to years of relentless unfounded (for the most part - with a few notable exceptions) bashing by the media and others against MS, Gates, and even the United States (as some twisted perceived representation of "corporate greed").

And certainly, everyone has the right to their opinion - and I will defend their right to express it. I just ask when dealing with technical issues, the opinions be based on technical facts, not personal preferences - and the opinions be stated as opinions.

The choice of browser today should be based solely on the user's personal preference, not ours. And I personally don't care which is set as the default as long as the user otherwise "practices safe computing" by keeping the computer updated, patched, scanned and blocked.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    Not really, I use three Browsers...IE...FF but mainly Opera
    I liked Opera very much, especially when it first came out, lo those years ago! lol. I bounced back and forth between it an FF, before finally settling on the Fox. Still a superb alternative browser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast