Default OSD Menu pops up suddenly on Monitor

I'm getting a pop-up of the "OSD Menu" showing the adjustments for the Brightness, Contrast, Auto Adjustment, Advanced Menu, and Exit, on my Monitor screen.

It's the same pop up I get when I push one of the 3 buttons located at the bottom of my screen on my monitor.

I've tried going into Advanced Menu section and clicking the Factory Reset button and it didn't thelp as I still get this pop up about every 2 or 3 minutes.

I've got an HP L1706 17" LCD Monitor & a HP Compaq dx2200 Modum with Windows XP Professional.

How can I make the OSD Menu inactive ?? Thanks !

Hi swede,

Sounds like the little circuit board under the buttons may be going bad or the button was pushed to far in and depressed the button sensor inside. The Monitor itself might be on it's way out and this could be the first clue.

Here's a couple links where others had similar issues with the HP Monitors.

My osd main menu keeps coming on

OSD menu keep popping up on its own without touching any button

If you try the possible solution in the 2nd link above, please read the safety warning posted by Grand Canyon Tech.

I don't think the OSD Menu can be disabled without taking the monitor apart to access the circuit board.

Other members may have a better answer. Please stay tuned.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

i agree with Donna... this happened to me not so long ago, and it was a depressed monitor button that caused the problem.

Flick the buttons a few times to see if it dislodges. Let us know the outcome.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Hi Swede,

When you have an HP Pavilion monitor connected with your computer you edit any screen settings using the On Screen Display (OSD) manager.

Using the menu buttons on the HP Pavilion monitor you can access the OSD manager. The most likely cause for the display manager repeatedly appearing on your screen is due to the time-out setting being set for short interval of time.

The time-out setting causes the display manager to appear whenever you are idle for a certain amount of time.

1. Press the "Menu" button on the front of your HP Pavilion computer monitor and then the On Screen Display menu will appear.

2. Press the "Browse" button on the monitor until you reach the "Advanced" setting and then press the "Select" button.

3. Select the "Browse" button until your reach the "Timeout" setting and then press the "Select" button.

4. Press the "Browse" button to select the time you want the On Screen Display manager to appear when you're not using your computer.

5. Select the "Exit" option on the sub-menu and then press the "Menu" button to exit out of the On Screen Display menu.

Hope this helps.

Michael

5. The Following User Says Thank You to asoonernurse For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn View Post
    i agree with Donna... this happened to me not so long ago, and it was a depressed monitor button that caused the problem.

Flick the buttons a few times to see if it dislodges. Let us know the outcome.
    > Spot on; Check for depressed buttons on monitor