sma

Default XP sp2 not booting to desktop, restarting again and again

Hi, I have a pc with XP service pack 2 installed, but it is not staring , it shows XP logo when booting but after that without showing desktop it restarts, i tried to use safe mode but it also hangs up, please help me to repair it because i dont want to loose some installed softwares
    thanks

Blog Entries

Boot and tap the f8 key...and try the last known good configuration

If that fails and it reboots...tap the f8 key again... at the menu disable automatic restarts on system failure ...reboot and give us the blue screen info

You are going to need to update to SP3 asap...and run all critical windows updates too

Do you have an anti-virus program?
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Just to make it clear the above are used from the f8 menu....do not try to go into safemode....just try the above options from the f8 menu
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by sma View Post
    Hi, I have a pc with XP service pack 2 installed, but it is not staring , it shows XP logo when booting but after that without showing desktop it restarts, i tried to use safe mode but it also hangs up, please help me to repair it because i dont want to loose some installed softwares
    thanks
    Another tool that might be helpful when Windows XP won't boot is System Restore. System Restore runs in the background as a service and continually monitors system-critical components for changes.

When it detects an impending change, System Restore immediately makes backup copies, called restore points, of these critical components before the change occurs. In addition, System Restore is configured by default to create restore points every24 hours.

To use System Restore, first restart the computer by pressing[Ctrl][Alt][Delete]. When you see the message Please select the operating system to start or hear the single beep, press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options menu. Now, select theSafe Mode item from the menu and press [Enter].

Once Windows XP boots into Safe mode, click the Start button, access the All Programs | Accessories | System Tools menu, and select System Restore.

Because you're running in Safe mode, the only option on the opening screen of the System Restore wizard is Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time, and it's selected by default, so just click Next.

Then, follow along with the wizard to select a restore point and begin the restoration procedure.

When a Windows XP boot problem is severe, you'll need to use a more drastic approach. The Windows XP CD is bootable and will provide you with access to a tool called the Recovery Console.

To boot from the Windows XP CD, insert it into the CD-ROM drive on the problem system and press [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] to reboot the computer.

Once the system begins booting from the CD, simply follow the prompts that will allow the loading of the basic files needed to run Setup.

When you see the Welcome To Setup screen, (shown in Figure A), press R to start the Recovery Console.

Figure A

You'll then see a Recovery Console menu, like the one shown in (Figure B.)

It displays the folder containing the operating system's files and prompts you to choose the operating system you want to log on to.

Just press the menu number on the keyboard, and you'll be prompted to enter the Administrator's password. You'll then find yourself at the main Recovery Console prompt.

Figure B

Hope this helps.