Default Why does the “loading indicator” cursor run when pc idle?

I’ve noticed that the “loading indicator” – the little blue revolving disc that the cursor transforms into when you open a file etc – runs intermittantly when the machine is left idle. For example, if I boot up, allow Ccleaner to finish, ensure that a defrag isn’t occuring and allow half an hour to pass with out touching it, I find that the cursor changes to the loading indicator for three regular 5 second bursts in each minute.

If this isn’t normal, what is happening and how do I repair it, please? I suspect that it is slowing the machine down.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 using MS Vista and is protected by Norton aided by Ccleaner.

Hi Treep,

That means your computer is processing something. Many things can cause this. Please read the reply in the following thread:

my cursor keeps spinning does anyone know why??

Also, if you are not actually running anything at the time it can be an indication of malware on your machine. If you'd like to have it checked out by our malware removal expert please follow the instructions in the link below:

How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Start a new thread in our Spyware forum and post the logs there. Do not post the logs in this thread.

Thank you,

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

It could also just be your AntiVirus running a background scan, whilst the computer is idle, a messenger (like windows live) checking for contacts coming on and off line, or a mail program checking for new mail.

Or, (and this is something i strongly believe...) it could be Microsoft trying to HYPNOTIZE YOU!!!!

"Buy Windows 8, BUY WINDOWS 8!!!!"

The links provided by DonnaB is a good place to start though, and will give you some peace of mind.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

It could also just be your AntiVirus running a background scan, whilst the computer is idle, a messenger (like windows live) checking for contacts coming on and off line, or a mail program checking for new mail.
    ooor! Could also be a scheduled task of some sort to a piece of software that was installed that you gave permission to search for updates on (was that covered above?). I call that orb........ "The Thinker!"

If you think that your computer is running slowly, uninstall Norton and install something that is less of a resource hog. There are several free AV's that are just as good. No AV (free or paid versions) is fail proof. 99.9% of infections are due to the reckless habits of the user at the key board.

There are other causes for a slow computer, if you'd like to investigate, let us know.

Or, (and this is something i strongly believe...) it could be Microsoft trying to HYPNOTIZE YOU!!!!

"Buy Windows 8, BUY WINDOWS 8!!!!"
    !
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Quote Originally Posted by Treep View Post
    I’ve noticed that the “loading indicator” – the little blue revolving disc that the cursor transforms into when you open a file etc – runs intermittantly when the machine is left idle.
    You have a program, process or service trying to start or stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Treep View Post
    If this isn’t normal, what is happening and how do I repair it, please? I suspect that it is slowing the machine down. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 using MS Vista and is protected by Norton aided by Ccleaner.
    What's slowing the machine is Norton (don't get me started...) A program, process or service trying to start or stop in the background is negligible and isn't slowing your machine in any way that you would notice.