Default Memory Lag Problems?

I am running a Dell Inspiron 600m with Windows XP. I have 2 gb of RAM (recently installed) and a 500 GB dual partitioned hard drive.

I recently went through a fairly large virus removal. After the removal the computer was running well for a while. Now if I use large programs or do large downloads something I am going to have a hard time explaining happens. All of a sudden the download will stop and it will tell me there is a network error. If I am running a large program it will freeze. Then if I try to initialize the download or the program again it will give me an error message. When I close all open windows and get to the desktop all of the icons are invisible. The small arrow box indicating it is a shortcut is visible but the icons are invisible. I can click on them but not see the picture. At this point nothing will run so I restart the computer. When I restart everything works fine. Internet connection and large programs.

Any clue as to what this is? I think that it might be a memory issue but I don't know. Could it be a virtual memory issue?

Please help!

TS

I recently went through a fairly large virus removal.
    Did you remove the virus without the help of a forum? If not please provide a link to the forum that helped you. Please provide any logs that you have from the virus removal that was done.

Joe

I did it here with Help2Go!

Running Slow w/weird popups