Default Installed new ram, pc won't switch on/beeping

Hi there.

I am a novice and just attempted to install new ram in my hp pc.

I had to remove the processor fan and disconnect the hard drive to access the ram slots but connected them back up once I was done. I moved the existing ram into an other slot and placed the new ram into the slot that the existing ram was in.

I have tried to switch on my pc and it will not start up, instead there is an intermittent beeping of equal length beeps and the power light is constant.

Any ideas/suggestions what I should do?

Thanks,

Chris.

Blog Entries

We will need your make and computer model

Was the CPU fan attached with what appeared to be glue like substance or is where it connects to the CPU clean

That fan must be connected back to the same power plug....it is a proprietary plug for the CPU fan only

However, the beeping is on some computers a ram failure
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanks for the reply,

My computer is a HP Media centre uk.1250

The fan was stuck with what looked like white glue to the CPU.

If it is the RAM, how do you think I could corrected, it appears that I have put the RAM back in properly.

Chris

The tone of the beeps will help. they beep like morse code, long long short, or 3 short, 1 long etc to pinpoint the problem.

I know its a hastle, but i think removing the ram again is the way forward, the 2 sticks may be incompatable or not correctly fitted into the slots, or even ruined due to static electricity!

If you don't want to try a removal, let us know the beep code.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

The fan was stuck with what looked like white glue to the CPU.
    A proper layer of TIM (thermal interface material) is essential to ensure maximum heat transfer to heatsink from the CPU die. TIM should not be re-used and whenever pulling a heatsink, you must thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and apply a fresh, thin layer of new TIM when remounting.

Did you observe proper ESD precautions BEFORE even thinking of touching the RAM or CPU? This involved unplugging the computer from the wall then touching bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body AND putting you and the computer "at the same potential"?

Are you sure the new RAM is compatible?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Be careful and read Digerati post about TIM....without it your computer will fry your CPU

You may have several issues...some now serious since you removed the heat reducing TIM (thermal interface material)

It is best your computer did not boot because unless you had heat limits in your BIOS...your computer would be an anchor weight and useless (it only takes seconds to over heat and do serious damage)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to follow the TIM instructions and clean the CPU and fan and replace the thermal interface material

First, you need to be sure you have the correct memory and it is installed correctly

The link below has your manuals...you will need a PDF reader to view them

Go to the Upgrading and Servicing guide and on page 9 you will see the memory replacement instructions

NOTE: Your memory info from HP is in the link below...check but I believe the UK and USA memory are the same

Upgrading Memory (RAM) HP Media Center m1250.uk Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

It is probably
    Memory Type: DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 4GB
    Slots: 4
    Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*
    *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
    The memory will only install in one direction there are slots on the bottom...they can be forced so align the slots correctly
    ==========================================================================================
    If this is too much get a savvy family member or friend to help
    It is not too complicated, but without caution for static you can do serious harm to the memory and the computer
    So follow the manual guide
    Put the memory in first then put the TIM on the CPU fan before rebooting

Important: Do not boot the computer until you have replaced the thermal interface material
    Last edited by abseh1; 09-27-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: added text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

the can do is to remove again the ram and then clean s slots and also clean the ram s gold one by using eraser and then fix it very well and then after that check all the connection of the computer and if surely properly connected all and try to check and im sure it will booth now.. God bless

grn

Also, the amount of RAM you have on your machine and the size of each stick, including the new one. Many motherboards have an order that RAM can be added and the sizes of stick in each memory bank. How many RAM slots do you have and were they colour coded in any way e.g. alternating colours of the DDR sockets?