Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Absence of sound

Hi, please could you maybe advise? I have a computer issue (with a computer system at a centre where I'm a volunteer). The computer has Windows 7 but I'm not sure of the processor...(Pentium duel core E2200 2.2GHz I think). There's no sound coming through the headphones that are being used, I've tested the headphones with another system & this proved to be ok (with sound) so it obviously isn't a fault with the headphones but with the computer system itself. There are no speakers because the computer (one of many) are used within a public domain. I've checked the sound software & looked at the sound configuration in the control panal, and checked the sounds information in 'system information', everything is telling me that there should be sound, the system is identifying a sound driver as present & correct & a message tells me that the sound drivers/software are working correctly....but I still cannot get any sound through the headphones. I've tried changing the headphone wires round & plugging them into different ports but...no joy!??? Someone suggested the 'codex' may have failed....please....what is a codex? And can you help me make the headphones work? Thank you for your time.

Blog Entries

Are you plugging into the sound card.....it may have jacks but no card

What make is the sound card?

Make sure your headphones are plugged into the line out (headphone) jack of your sound card or computer

(If you want to be listening with headphones rather than speakers).

When you plug in headphones, most computers automatically cut the sound to the speakers.

Make sure that the speaker volume is not muted or turned down too low.

• Open Volume Control by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then, under Audio Devices and Sound, clicking Adjust system volume.
    • Under Main Volume, move the slider up or down to raise or lower the volume.

More info
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sound-problems
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thank you for replying so soon. I've raised the volume to maximum & checked everything possible. I'm not sure what sound card is installed. My colleague advises me that the headphones worked on Friday (28th) but today (Monday 1st), there's nothing? Could you possibly advise further? Sorry to be a pain.

Blog Entries

No....if it worked it has a sound card

Some times there are options to use different sound play back devices...for example ...some monitors have speakers...that option should be changed to the proper play back device

If we knew the sound card type...maybe updating the drivers would fix it?
    (the type should show in the device manager....check the display adapters)

Sometimes just uninstalling the card from the Device manager and rebooting will fix a corrupted driver

No bother ...that is what we do here @ H2G...try and help members fix there computers

I assume the Center does not mind you working on the computer
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-02-2012 at 07:17 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Hi, and thank you again for your kind support. No, the centre doesn't mind me working on their systems, they've actually asked me to update them all & undertake regular maintenance checks. Thank you again.

Blog Entries

Your welcome

Blog Entries

the headphones worked on Friday (28th) but today (Monday 1st there's nothing?)
    Did you try a system restore to Friday or earlier?

Hi abseh1, thank you for your additional advice. I never actually gave it a thought regarding 'system restore'. The thing is, can you please advise? The system in question is one of many within a computer centre. While I'm responsible for the system updates, maintenance, and upkeep, if I try the system restore technique; will this delete anyone's files, favourites, or work achievements?

Should the system restore not work, I'm really not sure what else to try? I've attempted a driver update & this wasn't possible because no update was available, I've tried reconfiguring the sound, volume, speakers (though there are no speakers attached), the system is telling me that the sound/speaker ports/headphones are working fine...but in real terms there's nothing. If its any use to you? The sound driver details are: c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.system\6.1.7601.17514.29700kb

Please could you also tell me where to find the details of the sound card (if one is installed)? Thank you again for your time.

Blog Entries

You can go to the Device Manager and under> sound video and game controllers> and give me the make of the sound card and info

Hi abseh1, so sorry for the delay in responding please excuse me. You asked for sound card info....all I have to hand is.......

High definition audio device - Microsoft Location 2 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus) Driver version: 6.1.7601.17514. This is the only information I have....and the headphones are still not working!? Is there a free sound card/driver I could install from the internet to make the headphones work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast