Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reboot and select proper boot device ...

Hello, I'm trying to help out a friend with his laptop. He's got an ASUS Altec Lansing (that's the only info I can find from looking at the laptop) that wont boot. It's got Windows Home Premium and 2GB of ram installed. It powers on, shows the ASUS splash screen and then gives the message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". From what I was told he shut the lid on the laptop and the next morning when he opened it up it was giving that message.

I quickly googled that error message and found a wide range of responses, none of which seemed to make sense. Everything from the CMOS battery needing replaced to the laptop being stuck in hibernation. So I figured that I'd check here on the forum for some direction. I've checked to make sure there's no CD/DVD in the optical drive, I've booted into BIOS and the HD shows up there as the 1st boot device. I was looking for an option in the BIOS to run a HD test/scan, but couldnt find that option. I do have a Windows 7 Pro disk, could I use that to possibly try to repair the OS?? I dont think there is too much important info on the laptop, so as a very last resort I could get a Windows 7 Home Premium disk and reinstall the OS, but I'd prefer avoid that if I can. And I'd want to make sure that the HD is ok before trying to reinstall.

Thanks in advance,

dar124

Will it boot to the safe mode, turn the computer off then on, hold the F8 key down during restart.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Nope, I've tried that a few times and still get the same "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" message. I thought that ASUS might have a different key for safe mode, but the only thing I found was the F2 to get into BIOS.

By all accounts it sounds like windows does not see the drive or the drive has failed. You can do a start up repair using an operating disk, Google Start up repair win 7. I'm not a 100 percent sure if you can use that pro disk you have and boot from that to get the recovery options. I want to see what our other member abseh1 has to say, he is better suited for this type of issue then myself. The computer you're using now if it's win 7 you may even be able to make a repair disk from that too, with all that being said my gut feeling is a failed hard drive.

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 10-06-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Ok, thaks for the responses. I've got 2 Windows 7 machines myself, one with Ultimate and the other Pro.

I'll wait for abseh1 to respond as well. Thanks again Zep.

Blog Entries

It depends on what you mean by repair. If you only want to repair the startup files then yes you can boot from that Windows 7 Ultimate installer disc to repair a Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium or any edition of Windows 7 provided that they are the same version -- either 32 or 64-bits.

If you meant installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium edition on your friend's computer then you will need to do some modifications on the Windows 7 Ultimate installer disc, or better yet have the Win7 Home DVD

If not, to do it , make an ISO image of the DVD and save in on your hard drive.

Convert the ISO image of Win 7 Ultimate installer to an all edition-in-one Windows 7 installer using this:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-E…

The program will enable you to use the ISO image to install any edition of Windows 7. Burn the new ISO image to a blank DVD using ImgBurn:
    The Official ImgBurn Website

or transfer to a USB flash drive using this:
    WinToFlash - Install Windows from usb - Home page

Just take note that you cannot use your friend's product key for a different edition.

The edition you install should match the one that's in the sticker.
    ================================================

BTW:
    Years ago
    I made an 8 in 1 DVD for WinXP and can use it with 8 different versions on Win XP....you still need a valid license
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-06-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Try booting to the menu and command prompt and run the command prompt
    Once Command Prompt is open, type the following command and then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

Note: There's a space between sfc and /scannow
    Tip:
    1. When running sfc /scannow from outside of Windows, like from the Command Prompt available when you boot from your Windows disc or flash drive, or from your system repair disc, you'll have to tell the sfc command exactly where Windows exists, as in this example:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windowsThe /offbootdir= option specifies the drive letter, while the /offwindir= option specifies the Windows path, again including the drive letter.
      Note: Depending on how your computer is setup, the Command Prompt, when used from outside of Windows, doesn't always assign drive letters in the same way that you see them from inside Windows. In other words, Windows might be at C:\Windows when you're using it, but D:\Windows from the Command Prompt in System Recovery Options.
    ======================================

Startup Repair - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Note:
    Startup Repair can only fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files.

It can't fix hardware failures, such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory, nor does it protect against virus attacks.

Startup Repair isn't designed to fix Windows installation problems, nor is it a backup tool, so it can't help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents.

To help protect your computer, back up your system and files regularly. For more information, search for "backup" in Windows Help and Support.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Ok, when I get a couple of minutes I'll try a repair using my Windows 7 Pro disk. Yea, I was just trying to get the laptop to boot again and avoid a fresh install. There arent any files on the laptop that cant be replaced. Just wanted to make sure that the HD wasnt the original issue. Thought I read somewhere that these ASUS laptops might have some HD's in them that were affected by the floods?? I didnt want to try a fresh install, if the HD is failing and wont take the install.

May take me a bit to get back to try these few things on the laptop. I'll post back with my results when I do. Thanks abseh1.

Blog Entries

No problem....you will not need all that info....just use your DVD...ask if you have any questions...you seem computer savvy....good luck...abs

Ok, so I loaded my Windows 7 Ultimate disk, booted the laptop, went to the "repair" options, command prompt and tried the "sfc /scannow". The laptop rebooted and I got the ""reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" message again. So I went back to the repair options and selected the "start up repair" option. I got to the point where it was "attempting repairs" and left it like that for over an hour, but nothing seemed to be happening??

With it sitting like that for over an hour, can I assume that the current Windows install cant be repaired??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast