Thread: Windows XP

Default Windows XP

Hi, please could someone advise? I have 'Ubuntu' on a computer system (I hate Ubuntu with a passion), consequentley I'm trying to initiate a re-boot in an attempt to replace Ubuntu with Windows XP Professional. The problem is, while I reboot the system with the XP disc in the drive, I'm never given the option on screen to 'press any key to install', the system always automatically loads Ubuntu. I've tried accessing the Bios in order to reconfigure the first boot option to boot from the CDRom, but having done this, Ubuntu continues to load automatically. Please can you tell me how to rectify the problem? I need to format the system so I can replace Ubuntu with XP...any ideas please? Thank you

Blog Entries

You can try setting the boot sequence in the BIOS to CDROM ...but I doubt that will work with Linux on the HDD

You need to reformat ....you have GRUB as a Linux boot agent
    When you reformat the windows disk will install a boot file on the front of the HDD and allow you to install WinXP

If it has a floppy disk drive you can reformat @ boot WinXP with 6 floppy disks
    In your case use the Windows XP Professional option to create floppies
    (If you do not have a floppy drive let me know....you should have a floppy drive on most WinXP computers)

There are six Windows XP Setup boot floppy disks. You must have the files and the drivers that these disks contain to access the CD drive and to start the Setup process.

How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation

===================================================
    Second Option;
    Another option is to psychically remove the HDD and install it as a slave in another Windows computer and reformat then reinstall it in the computer and use the WinXP DVD
    (best to reformat as NTFS)....you can use an external HDD case drive or an external HDD adapter ....this will save time
    If you use the second computer to reformat with an external adapter...be sure to set the HDD as master
    However, if you psychically put it in another computer's case it should be slaved as a second HDD before you reformat
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-11-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

In your case I recommend the above post

But, any old win 98 etc boot disk would work too
    Just boot a win98 start up floppy...if you have access or know how to make one
    (you need a win98 computer to do it the easy way...just open win98 and create a win98 startup floppy (win95 will work too)

You just need to run the fdisk and format commands sequentially

Note: When you run the fdisk and format commands, the Master Boot Record (MBR) and file allocation tables are created.

The MBR and file allocation tables store the necessary disk geometry that allows hard disk to accept, store, and retrieve data.

more info
    Bootdisk.Com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    In your case I recommend the above post

But, any old win 98 etc boot disk would work too
    Just boot a win98 start up floppy...if you have access or know how to make one
    (you need a win98 computer to do it the easy way...just open win98 and create a win98 startup floppy (win95 will work too)

You just need to run the fdisk and format commands sequentially

Note: When you run the fdisk and format commands, the Master Boot Record (MBR) and file allocation tables are created.

The MBR and file allocation tables store the necessary disk geometry that allows hard disk to accept, store, and retrieve data.

more info
    Bootdisk.Com

Thank you abseh1. I've actually found the 'GRUB' boot thingy, please could you explain what I should type as an instruction for formatting? Thank you

Blog Entries

Forget GRUB....it runs on commands and is difficult for non Linux users
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/files/li...622/4622f1.jpg

Just create the 6 floppies and install WinXP....the floppies run in a sequence from one to 6 and are wizard friendly...just follow them

After installing WinXP and formatting the complete HDD the Linux stuff will be gone ...including Ubuntu
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-11-2012 at 09:04 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post: