Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Computer Parts, are they compatible?

Hi recently i have decided to build my very own gaming/work computer. I'm on a 2000$ budget but i can go a little over so if you think i can get some better graphics cards or any other parts just say so. Anyways my main problem is i cant determine if these computer parts are able to hook up and work with each other and i would really like to get these right these first time so i dont have to make any returns. Here are the parts:

CASE: Newegg.com - Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm rear fan
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm rear fan

HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare

VIDEO CARD: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SOUND CARD: Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

POWER SUPPLY: Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

MEMORY: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
    Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

MOTHER BOARD: Newegg.com - 13-131
    Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Blog Entries

Above and beyond most...congrats

The PSU Fan is not always on and only turns on when it is needed....so do not think it is broken....also, that is a bigger than normal PSU.....make sure it fits your case
    (I would be surprised if it did not fit)
    The cables are not completely modular but your case can handle it

Congrats again and good luck....you could get some items for less money, that would work well....but money does not seem to be an issue

It would not hurt to look @ Gigabyte, MSI, or even ASRock motherboards too
    (ASUS support is not what it once was)

Make sure the CPU is third generation....I did not see the generation mentioned

Good luck....quite a nice rig...abs

BTW: Better than anything I have owned...
    (But hey, I have the Corsair 750 gold PSU....older version)
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-14-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

thanks abseh1 greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

My pleasure...welcome to H2G...post often and have fun

Update us on your new toy

I think the choice of case is WAY over kill. You do not need a "Full Tower" case. Only big servers with MANY hard drives and using an EATX motherboard needs a full tower. Note that case supports 10 drives and 8 expansion cards!

You listed just 1 drive (and to that, I don't see a DVD drive, needed to install Windows) and 1 expansion card.

And to that, why get an EATX motherboard when you only have 1 HD and 1 card listed? That is a big waste of money and motherboard for zero gains in performance. You can get the same performance from a similar but smaller board and smaller (easier to lug outside for cleaning) case.

.....make sure it fits your case
    (I would be surprised if it did not fit)
    Note that all ATX PSUs will fit (physically and electrically) inside all ATX cases (mid, full and extended). That is what the ATX Form Factor standard ensures.

I don't see an operating system listed. A common mistake is some users assume they can use their old Windows license on a new computer. Understand only a "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded motherboard). It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". So if that is the case, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives. Just ensure it is 64-bit since you have selected 32Gb of RAM. Note I am just the messenger stating the facts. This is all in the EULAs we agree to abide by when we first use our OEM software.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

A bit more on Licensing (important and boring)

Admittedly, it is very confusing and innocently violated regularly...no excuse just a fact , as we are not all lawyers ...(thank goodness )

BTW: Win 8 is suppose to be on sale this month (26Oct12)

Full and Volume Licensing 7 Versions

The full license product represents the highest price you can pay as a consumer, but it also includes the most generous license.

Big customers who are willing to buy in bulk can get full-featured editions of Windows, bundled with support contracts and special benefits, by signing up for Volume License agreements.

But, here's how these Retail Full Package Product (FPP) products work.

Retail Full Package Product (FPP) This is the most expensive retail product of all and includes the fewest restrictions of any Windows version. You can install it on any PC, new or old. You can boot from the installation media and set up Windows 7 on a PC with a squeaky clean hard drive without having to jump through a single hoop. You can install it on any Mac, in a virtual machine or using Boot Camp. You can install it in a virtual machine in Windows as well. You can even use it as an upgrade for a previous edition (although you pay more for the privilege than you need to).

Two other noteworthy benefits of an FPP copy of Windows are these:

You can uninstall the OS from a computer and transfer it to a new PC, something you can't do with an OEM copy of Windows.
    (keep in mind, uninstall first is the key word...also, you can only use one version if you have two DVD's 32 bit or 64 bit)

Note: Microsoft briefly considered restricting this option when Vista was almost ready to launch but retreated in the face of a fierce backlash from customers

You get free technical support directly from Microsoft, rather than from the hardware maker.

Summary:
    FPP products are premium-priced, but for some circumstances they make sense. And for customers who are willing to pay that premium to have no license hassles whatsoever, this is the way to go
    (most home builders know this....but do not always comply)

More info:
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wind...-windows-7-on/
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-15-2012 at 10:57 AM.

You get free technical support directly from Microsoft, rather than from the hardware maker.
    Which means if you build it yourself, you are Tech Support. The retail packages come with both 32-bit and 64-bit installation disks. While you cannot install both at the same time, you can legally go from one to the other without buying a new license.

With OEMs, you must select 32-bit or 64-bit at the time of purchase.

(most home builders know this....but do not always comply)
    I am not sure they do. Who thoroughly reads EULAs and Warranty terms? That's why I point them out. But you are right, many know and choose not to comply, and sadly, there are many advisors on forums like H2G who recommend readers ignore those terms too, because they can likely get away with it. My guess is they are the same people who don't know what (or choose to ignore) red, 8-sided traffic signs with the letters S T O P on them means, either.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

there are many advisors on forums like H2G who recommend readers ignore those terms too
    I hope you did not mean H2G or me....I try to help and spend many hours as do other H2G members volunteering

The H2G Spyware forum advisors are incredible too

I could be with my grad-kids now....but they are playing in the living room

I probably just misread the post

I hope you did not mean H2G or me....
    No I did not mean the site or you and was not trying to point fingers in any specific direction other than to say like stop-sign runners, there are many who feel they are above such things as law and order, rules, legal agreements and other things that turn anarchy into civilized, safe and fair societies. But their own personal moral beliefs about themselves does not justify advising others (or allow others who come seeking advice) to break those laws and legal agreements.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

No need to worry I'm waiting for windows 8 OS to come out before choosing also, i have rethought my choice of Motherboard
    Newegg.com - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard this seems like the same amount of power with a more friendly, beginners feel. Other than that i am still deciding on a new case which confuses me greatly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast