Default I.P address/configeration

Hi, I wonder please if you could help me, although I completely understand if you can't. I'm attempting to connect a PC (with Windows XP Professional) to the internet via a server, the server has about 12 computers on its network. The PC was donated to us & I've been attempting to secure an internet connection. There is an ethernet card installed & it works so I know this isn't the problem. I've asked a fellow volunteer colleague for advise & he is unable to help. Please can you advise...do I need to configure an I.P address (on the PC) associated with the server? I've gone into 'Internet options' & configured the home page to marry up with the charity (acs.sandgtraining.co.uk), but still when I attempt to log on to the internet home page, I get the error msg 'unable to connect' (or words to this effect). I'm not at all familiar with servers, I've asked people at the centre where I work, people who are computer literate, and they have no idea!!?? I really want to get this right, prove myself, learn from it, and understand regarding networking. Please could you advise? Any further information you need I'll gladly supply it for you, thanks for your patience.

Blog Entries

If I understand correctly....you need the server addy and you just connect to the server
    (you may need the password and permissions)

How are the other computers connected to the Internet?
    Connect the same way
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Please excuse my ignorance...what do you mean by the 'server addy'? Passwords & permissions are not a problem. Thank you again

Blog Entries

Addy is short for address....the server has a IP address (addy) on a network used to ID and connect to the server

Some businesses have there own network
    (you will need the password and permissions)

It can also be done via a workgroup too

They all need shared on the same workgroup (have the same workgroup name)Indicate a Computer Name along with clicking on the 'Workgroup' button. Replace the default WORKGROUP with any preferred name to identify your network. This is an added security measure that will ensure that only members of the same workgroup can share resources.

Materials Needed:
    - Network Interface Cards (NIC) for each computer (if none is present)
    - RJ45 Ethernet cables
    - Network router
    - Client and Server computers (preferably using the same Operating System)

Step 1
    The first step to implementing wired networks is to configure the router by defining the security protocols to be implemented (WAP, WEP, and the likes) as well as the IP addresses that will be used by the internal network. This option can usually be done via the Graphical User Interface of its accompanying software.
    Step 2
    Connect an RJ45 Ethernet cable to the WAN port of the router and the NIC of the computer machine that will function as the server. An indicator light on the router will indicate that the computer server is detected.
    Step 3
    Click on the 'My Computer' option to define what resources will be shared to other computers (Clients) that will connect to the server. To share the contents of the hard drive, right click on it and choose the Sharing and Security option of the context menu. Check the 'Share this folder' on the network option so that Client machines can access it. Also, indicate the Share name to be used to identify the device in the network.
    Step 4
    Launch the 'Control Panel' and choose the 'Performance and Maintenance' option. Click on the 'System' menu and choose the 'Computer Name' tab. Indicate a Computer Name along with clicking on the 'Workgroup' button. Replace the default WORKGROUP with any preferred name to identify your network. This is an added security measure that will ensure that only members of the same workgroup can share resources.
    Step 5
    On the 'Control Panel', select the 'Network Connections' option and right click on the 'Local Area Connection'. Select the 'Internet Protocol (IP)' option and click on the 'Properties' button. You can use any IP address for your internal network. The address of the server usually ends with the number one as in 192.123.1.1.
    Step 6
    Check if the Client machine has an installed NIC. In case there is none, have a professional install it to avoid voiding the warranty and possibly damaging the computer hardware. If present, connect one end of another RJ45 Ethernet cable with the other end to any vacant port on the router. An indicator light should be lit to represent the connection.
    Step 7
    To share resources on the Client machine, repeat Step 3. Repeat Step 4 to make sure that it is in the same Workgroup as the Server machine. Repeat Step 5 making sure that only the last digit is different from the Server’s IP address.
    Step 8
    Restart the Server, the router, and the Client respectively. This will activate connection of the Client to the Server machine.
    Step 9
    Repeat Step 6 and Step 7 for any additional Client machine that will be connected to the Server.
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-17-2012 at 08:00 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

How are you physically connecting to the network? Via a router or switch? Note Ethernet cables are pretty low tech and not very robust. The connectors can be damaged easily, if tugged a bit too hard or tripped over.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

How are you physically connecting to the network? Via a router or switch? Note Ethernet cables are pretty low tech and not very robust. The connectors can be damaged easily, if tugged a bit too hard or tripped over.
    Bill makes a good point....you may have done everything right....but if the cable is not completely plugged in or is damaged ...of course that one computer will not connect

Wireless is not recommended for several computers (security issues increase) ....but it is an option and different from a direct cable set up

I assumed you are not wireless

Thank you so much for your helpful advice, I actually overlooked the possibility of loose cables...whoops! And, no...we are not wireless, I'll check further. Thank you again so much for your help.