Thread: Hard drive

Default Hard drive

Please could I have some advice? I'm looking to purchase a Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA-600 7200RPM 16MB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, brand new. I see that there are various types...'SATA' l or ll or lll? Please could you advise on correct connections? I'm running windows 7 Home premium with a dual core processor, I want to make sure the connection on the hard drive isn't the 'old' type (?), there's no picture of the connection on Ebay, how can I be sure please? Thank you

Blog Entries

Send the Ebay link....if it is new it is probably eSATA and not IDE

It says sata

eSATA images below....pretty standard in most cases ...if it is eSATA and you have a eSATA ribbon cable 99% chance it will work
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...CIzm8QSa8oCICQ
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-17-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

I'm running windows 7 Home premium with a dual core processor
    Those don't matter. What matters is your motherboard and what it supports, but you didn't tell us anything about your motherboard (or computer brand and model if store bought). And we don't know the exact model number (and therefore SATA version) of that drive either - for example Newegg sells these - both 500Gb, both Seagate Barracudas, both 7200RPM, both with 3.5 and both 16Mb, but one is SATA 3.0Gb/s and the other is 6.0Gb/s.

That said, SATA drives are frontwards and backwards compatible - meaning, like USB, any device will (in theory, anyway) work in any port. The downside, however, is the throughput (data transfer speed) will be that of the slowest device.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: